FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressing a 30 Minute Web Video

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Derek Pankaew
Compressing a 30 Minute Web Video
on Nov 19, 2012 at 8:17:12 pm

Hey Peeps!

We're creating a whiteboard animation, 80% black and white and 20% color. We're trying to get the smallest file size possible, without a noticeable loss in quality. Much of the video is just very simple black and white drawings, though some of the drawings are colored in.

I notice some formats I output to cause interlacing in the hand that's drawing the pictures and some don't. Preferably, the format shouldn't cause interlacing. The pictures themselves look fine, but we have a sped up hand doing the drawings that seems to interlace in some formats.

Details:

What I'm using: Sony Vegas (my partner has Final Cut & After Effects if necessary for better compression)
Source codec: Cineform
Destination codec: That's what I'm asking help for :)
Destination Use: We'll be streaming the video from an Amazon S3 server. We'll be using Easy Video Player to playback the video. Users will be on all kinds of different devices, including PC and Mac, so we need a format that can work for a mass audience.

Also, I've heard of people rendering whiteboard animations to 15 FPS. Is that going to be noticeable? Or is that a decent way to reduce file size?

I'm not actually sure if this is a compression question; basically I'm asking what the best video output format is for our intended use. Small file size is really important as we're paying per gigabyte of transfer.

Thank you so much!

- Derek

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
Re: Compressing a 30 Minute Web Video
on Nov 20, 2012 at 4:29:44 am

H.264 in a .mov or .mp4 or .avi wrapper. 24 fps progressive (1080p24). Regarding 15 fps, only tests will confirm if your work 'works' in 15 fps. Compression codecs think in terms of data rate per second, regardless of fps, so I say stick to 24 fps.

If you're seeing interlacing, check your project settings. You should be in a progressive only pipeline.

Regarding size, you might have to keep rendering bits in data rate increments to find your sweet spot. There's no easy way. But whatever you do, don't compromise on audio.

Hope this helps.

http://www.wolfcrow.com - Workflow information and support for filmmakers, photographers, audiographers and videographers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]