FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD movies are very fuzzy after burning a made video

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
anthony kobrowisky
DVD movies are very fuzzy after burning a made video
on Nov 14, 2012 at 10:36:20 am

Hi there,

I am looking for some urgent needed help with regards to my DVDs that i have been making. I edit in Final cut X , send to compressor 4 0 3 and the videos are extremely bad quality after i burn them to a DVD. My settings are as follows:

1920 X 1080 25p HD on FCP X
on compressor my custom settings are
Description: MPEG-2 elementary stream for DVD Authoring
File Extension: m2v
Estimated size: 2.79 GB/hour of source
Type: MPEG-2 video elementary stream
Usage:SD DVD
Video Encoder
Width and Height: Automatic
Selected: 720 x 576
Pixel aspect ratio: PAL CCIR 601 (16:9)
Crop: None
Padding: None
Frame rate: (100% of source)
Frame Controls: Off
Start timecode from source
Aspect ratio: Automatic
Selected 16:9
Field dominance: Automatic:
Selected Progressive
Average bit rate: 6.2 (Mbps)
1 Pass VBR enabled
Maximum bit rate: 7.8 (Mbps)
Best motion estimation
Closed GOP Size: 1/2 second, Structure: IBBP
DVD Studio Pro meta-data enabled

Using princo 16X dvd disks

When i play the video through my Mac book, the quality is great. Just after the burn makes it look terrible. I Also need help fast as these vids are for customers.

Im new to this so please give reply with step by step instructions if you have any!

Thanks you!!!
Ant

Return to posts index

David Eaks
Re: DVD movies are very fuzzy after burning a made video
on Nov 14, 2012 at 12:43:53 pm

Try exporting your HD project with current settings, then bring that file into a new project. Change this new project's settings to SD then export the timeline. Bring the exported SD file into compressor and burn same as before.

Or just duplicate the HD project, change the duplicate project to SD then export and burn.

It should be a little better, the image will be soft especially on an HDTV but should be pretty clean and free of compression artifacts and "blockiness". The DVD should look pretty darn good when viewed on and old 4:3 SD CRT TV. The thing is, a DVD is never going to look as good as your HD project. I've found the above method to be comparable to hardware downscaling to SD with either my Matrox MXO2 LE or AJA Ki Pro before compressing and burning the DVD.

The real solution is to burn a Blu-ray. Blu-ray burners are cheap, but the encode time is long (Matrox MAX takes care of that). Your customers will need a Blu-ray player and an HDTV to really appreciate your original HD quality. Or upload HD to YouTube or give them an HD digital file to play on their computer or iPhone/iPad etc. Some HDTV's and Blu-ray players even have USB ports or SD Card readers and can play HD video from a USB drive or SD card.

Personally, I'm anxious for the DVD format to die out, it is obsolete. Unfortunately, it's still in wide use and we all have to deal with it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]