FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is 'H.264 dvd studio pro' 720x576 from compressor (pal) compatible for SD dvd.

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leon Willis
Is 'H.264 dvd studio pro' 720x576 from compressor (pal) compatible for SD dvd.
on Nov 13, 2012 at 11:15:35 am

Hopefully an easy one....
Im creating dvd files in compressor for a 120mins sd dvd. Im not happy with the mpeg2 quality as it seems to add jagged lines. Ive noticed H.264 for DVD Studio Pro option seems to be best. If I change the Video Format to pal setting (720x576) will this be fine for sd dvd in studio pro? Im conceded as the compressor Inspector description still states: DVD type: HD DVD but at 720x576.
thanks in advance :)

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Is 'H.264 dvd studio pro' 720x576 from compressor (pal) compatible for SD dvd.
on Nov 13, 2012 at 1:08:59 pm

DVDs use MPEG2 Elementary Streams.
HD DVD is a format the died years back.

Please read the sticky at the top of this forum and provide complete information.

I can guess the jaggies are from downscaling but without giving complete information you're just going to get guesses which may be wrong.

Return to posts index

Leon Willis
Re: Is 'H.264 dvd studio pro' 720x576 from compressor (pal) compatible for SD dvd.
on Nov 13, 2012 at 4:53:51 pm

Filmed on 60D, edited a 90min 3 camera concert. Exported from FCP as QT with 'recompress all files' clicked. Using Compressor to build / format in Dvd STudio Pro.

The initial problem was I was new to DSLR editing and I wasn't aware of app pro res converting. It edited ok and played fine in fcp timeline. However, the only way I could get a clean export was by clicking 'recompress all frames'. Long story! Anyway I am now using compressor to make sd dvd files. I have used trial and error and the only dvd setting (without jaggedy lines) seems to be 'h.264 to dvd studio pro'.

If I choose this setting and change the frame size to 720x576 16 pal, will studio pro accept it as though it was sd. It needs to be good quality as it's being mass produced.

I'm hoping theres a simple answer, I can't seem to find a similar situation on the help forums as it's quite specific.

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 13, 2012 at 5:16:34 pm

[Leon Willis] "Filmed on 60D"

Which has a plethora of frame sizes and frame rates. What did you use?

[Leon Willis] "Exported from FCP as QT with 'recompress all files' clicked. Using Compressor to build / format in Dvd STudio Pro."

Version numbers?
QT is a container. What is your exported codec, frame size and frame rate?

[Leon Willis] "I have used trial and error and the only dvd setting (without jaggedy lines) seems to be 'h.264 to dvd studio pro'. "

You're probably having downconvert issues which is creating the jagged lines.
There's no H.264 to DVD Studio Pro setting. In Compressor 3.x there was HD DVD: H.264 preset. HD DVD is a dead format. There are no jagged lines because you are not downconverting.

Return to posts index

Leon Willis
on Nov 13, 2012 at 5:57:17 pm

Sorry, here is more info..
Filmed on 60D 1920 × 1080 pal.
Exported from FCP 7 as QT movie, current settings, with recompress all frames, 1920 × 1080 pal.
Compressor: DVD 90mins. video format: 16x9 MPeg2. Quality: 2 pass. Ave Bit 6.4 max 7.5
Best
L

Return to posts index

Leon Willis
on Nov 13, 2012 at 6:02:15 pm

I've changed 'field dom' to 'progressive' which seems to have done the trick so far.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 13, 2012 at 6:27:45 pm

That would get rid of issues around interlacing.

I'd have thought your source is progressive given you're shooting with a DSLR.
These days I rarely shoot interlace. The only reason I can think of is for 1080i broadcast.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 13, 2012 at 6:15:58 pm

[Leon Willis] "Exported from FCP 7 as QT movie, current settings, with recompress all frames, 1920 × 1080 pal."

If it's exporting H.264 that might exacerbate the problem. Try setting the timeline to Apple ProRes 1920x1080 25fps (PAL) and rendering and exporting that.

Return to posts index

Leon Willis
on Nov 13, 2012 at 7:03:52 pm

spoke to soon, its still jaggedy. I'd avoiding going back to FCP as 'recompres' export takes hours. I don't think this will help as it exports fine in compressor as hd. no jaggy edges. It just seems to be when i click Mpeg2.
cheers
L

Return to posts index

Leon Willis
cured
on Nov 13, 2012 at 7:56:55 pm

Right. After a lot of trail and error. Ive re-named it something entirely different, highlighted the 'Dolby Digital ac3' audio file (as opposed to MPEG-2.6 .mv2 video file) just before I click submit, this seems to have done the trick. WHY this works I have no idea.
Hope this saves someone else a lot of time if they ever have the same pridiciment.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: cured
on Nov 13, 2012 at 9:22:11 pm

None of that makes a difference. Theres something missing info wise.....but if it works who cares :)

Return to posts index

Russ Haskell
on Nov 13, 2012 at 10:20:56 pm

You should not be recompressing all frame i n the QT export. Uncheck that box.

Russ

Return to posts index

Leon Willis
on Nov 24, 2012 at 4:28:20 pm

Just to update anyone who may be stuck with this problem. It turned out that this didn't work for all parts, the only success was to:
export SD version from FCP
then
export as SD from compressor.

This was my original question & I tried to find alternatives to save the quality but to no avail. thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]