FORUMS: list search recent posts

MPEG Streamclip File Nowhere to be Found

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Dawson
MPEG Streamclip File Nowhere to be Found
on Oct 27, 2012 at 11:58:33 am

Last night I had a referenced QuickTime movie export from FCP7 compress for 4.5 hours (10:30 pm to about 2:50 am). I wake up and check the computer and the file is nowhere to be found. When the process started, I saw the temp file being created. I check the MPEG Streamclip log and it says this:

File: Andy Andrews Keynote 480p.m4v
Friday, 20:36:53: Export Stream started
Saturday, 02:52:33: Done

Yet, there's no file.

Earlier in the day I had tried to compress this with Compressor and at some point it bombed. In fact, hours later after returning, I found my computer was "asleep" couldn't wake back up. I had to restart it by pressing and holding the power button on the back of my iMac. When the computer restarted, I saw that the Compressor results yielded a "dead" file. (During that first test, I actually had Compressor and MPEG running simultaneously b/c Compress seemed to be taking so long so I started to compress it with MPEG to see it that would be faster. Both files were "dead" files." This was before I ran MPEG again by itself at 10:30.

The clip is a 90 minute 1440x1080i referenced QT export from FCP 7. I'm running a 2.66 Intel Core i5 with an ATI Radeon HD 4850. I'm trying to create an AppleTV format, at 1200 kbps, 960x720, deinterlaced.

Any idea what's going on?

Ron Dawson
Executive Producer/President
Dare Dreamer Media

Creating films that inspire and encourage the human spirit.

*** Dream Out Loud ***

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: MPEG Streamclip File Nowhere to be Found
on Oct 27, 2012 at 1:17:49 pm

Don't use reference files. Export the Master and use that.
Sometimes there can be issues accessing the reference.

BTW if your i5 is Quad core, see if creating two instances speeds encoding (you could try core but I find diminishing returns in some cases). You'd want to have enough RAM for the cores though so I'll assume you have 8GB of RAM.

Return to posts index

Ron Dawson
Re: MPEG Streamclip File Nowhere to be Found
on Oct 28, 2012 at 4:14:42 am

Thanks for the reply Craig. I sent the video through Compressor again and this time it worked. Go figure.

I don't think my iMac is a Quad core. I got it August 2010.

Ron Dawson
Executive Producer/President
Dare Dreamer Media

Creating films that inspire and encourage the human spirit.

*** Dream Out Loud ***

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]