FORUMS: list search recent posts

Frame Rate Fluctuation in playback of H264 but not original Apple ProRes File??

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alec Eagon
Frame Rate Fluctuation in playback of H264 but not original Apple ProRes File??
on Oct 5, 2012 at 10:47:37 pm

Hey Everyone,

So I've run into kind of a funny issue here. I am working with an Apple ProRes (HQ) file that I am converting to an MP4 (H.264) file with Squeeze 8 with the following settings (posted below).

I am really confused because when I play the H.264 file with Quicktime 7 (on my Mac Pro 32gb of Ram and almost no other programs open) the frame rate in the Movie Inspector seems to bounce around 24 fps (particularly in decimal increments) way more than it does when playing the original ProResHQ file.

The original ProRes might bounce to 25fps once, maybe twice during the whole 2 min video, while the H.264 seems to bounce around to 23, 25 and lots of decimals in between (particularly during what might be considered the more complicated shots).

My question is: what would make the frame rate of an H.264 file (playing back at a data rate of 320kbit/s) fluctuate more than the original ProRes file (that has a data rate of 144mb/s) being played back in the exact same manner (QT7 + powerful computer with no other programs running)?

Am I missing something here? Do I have something set wrong that might be obstructing playback?

Is this just a limitation of H.264/MP4?

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to achieve the smoothest possible playback for H.264? (particularly for Vimeo upload)

Thanks a ton!
-Alec

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]