FORUMS: list search recent posts

re-wrapping .mov to .mp4

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Ewing
re-wrapping .mov to .mp4
on Sep 25, 2012 at 2:41:54 pm

I have a 1.08 GB .mov file that I need to convert to .mp4 for upload to Vimeo. The movie inspector in Quicktime says that the .mov file is format h264 853x40 ACC. I tried to use Adobe Media Encoder CS6 to convert the file to h264 .mp4 using the Vimeo preset settings, however Media Encoder displayed the remaining time as 34 hours. What process should I be using so that this won't take two days to accomplish. (Please keep in mind, I do not have access to the raw files...otherwise I would render out from Adobe Premiere or After Effects directly as h264 mp4). Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: re-wrapping .mov to .mp4
on Sep 25, 2012 at 3:16:28 pm

[Josh Ewing] "I have a 1.08 GB .mov file that I need to convert to .mp4 for upload to Vimeo."

Why? Vimeo works just fine with .mov.

[Josh Ewing] "The movie inspector in Quicktime says that the .mov file is format h264 853x40 ACC."

Were you given this file? That's a standard def 16x9 aspect ratio. HD would be better generally. Vimeo handles HD although there's a limit of one HD file per week on free accounts.

[Josh Ewing] "What process should I be using so that this won't take two days to accomplish."

Nothing. Upload the file as is. I'm not sure how it'll handle 853x480 (assume that's what you meant) as some encoders prefer 854x480. Encoders prefer numbers divisible by 16, 8, 4. 2 or 1 can result in quality loss. Encoding the file again will result in quality loss as well.

Return to posts index

Josh Ewing
on Sep 25, 2012 at 3:26:23 pm

Yes. I was given this file. I'd upload the file as is but the file size is over the 500mb limit on our basic Vimeo account. That's why I'm trying to convert the file. Any more thoughts?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 25, 2012 at 3:53:47 pm

[Josh Ewing] " the file size is over the 500mb limit on our basic Vimeo account. "

Ahh, I see.
What's the exact duration (hours/minutes/seconds)?
Basically you'd want to get the bit rate as close to the 500MB limit without going over.
The other issue is, looking at Vimeo upload recommendations, they don't mention 853(or4)x480.
They do mention 640x360. We'd have to dig a bit to see how it'll handle a file at your dimension or otherwise encode to the lower frame size.

http://vimeo.com/help/compression
Choose 640×480 for 4:3 SD video, 640×360 for 16:9 SD video, and 1280×720 or 1920×1080 for HD.

Return to posts index

Josh Ewing
on Sep 25, 2012 at 4:15:44 pm

The duration is 00:18:12. Adobe Media Encoder CS6 has a h264 Vimeo preset that meets the compression settings recommended by Vimeo in the link you posted. That's the preset I tried using before. Media Encoder gives me an estimated transcoded file size of 302 MB which is great...but it's also saying that the estimated remaining time for the transcode is 34 hours, which I would prefer to avoid.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 25, 2012 at 4:40:07 pm

[Josh Ewing] " Media Encoder gives me an estimated transcoded file size of 302 MB which is great."

Actually that might be a bit low. You could try to get it close to 500MB
http://www.pimley.net/bitrateinfo/
This would mean you'd want to get close to 3800kbps although the 2300kbps you'd get is still probably OK for Standard Def. I just try to hit closes to the max when possible. But that's just me.

[Josh Ewing] "but it's also saying that the estimated remaining time for the transcode is 34 hours, which I would prefer to avoid."

Sometimes those initial estimates change once you start encoding. Otherwise perhaps your computer is very slow. That is an unusually long time but without knowing your system specs it's hard to know.

In any case, start the encode and let it run for 15 minutes and see if the estimate drops.

It may be a settings issue as well but that's hard to know unless you post the complete settings. It could be deinteralcing when you don't need it. It might be doing a frame rate conversation that's not needed. It might be doing a multipass encode but that would to give you the best quality.

Return to posts index

Josh Ewing
on Sep 25, 2012 at 4:54:17 pm

Its been encoding in the background for the last 45 mins and the estimated remaining time is still just a shade under 34 hours. My computer is a new top of the line Windows 7 64 bit machine. Something just seems really wrong with this process.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 25, 2012 at 6:00:19 pm

[Josh Ewing] "My computer is a new top of the line Windows 7 64 bit machine"

Not sure what "top of the line" is. I've seen a wide range of CPUs available today and some aren't suited to professional video work. An HP Z820 16 core Sand Bridge Xeon system would be top. A typical Quad Core Ivy Bridge i7 would still be good. A dual core i3 would be pretty slow though and I've seen those. GPU and RAM can also have an impact as well as hard drive speed and throughput if the computer starts using it as virtual memory.

Something would seem to be slowing your system maybe it's just settings turn up to an extreme. I've seen that with some encoders who's "Best" quality settings are painfully slow and often overkill.

Return to posts index

Josh Ewing
on Sep 25, 2012 at 6:09:24 pm

My system is Xeon E31225 3.1 GHz / 16 GB RAM / Windows 7 64-bit

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 25, 2012 at 6:12:24 pm

That should be plenty fast.

There may be an issue with the settings or maybe some user preference corruption.
Try creating a New User Admin account. Reboot and log into the account and test the same file in that account using the same settings. Turn off an virus checkers or any other software that might run in the background.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 25, 2012 at 4:23:33 pm

Vimeo sure makes things very hard to find.

http://vimeo.com/help/faq/uploading#square_pixels
I uploaded a 16:9 (widescreen) video but Vimeo squished it to 4:3, what gives?
Vimeo uses square pixels when converting your video. You will need to export your videos with square pixels and manually set your aspect ratio to 853x480 for widescreen DV, or 1280x720 for high definition. Read our Compression Guidelines for more information.

But their "Compression Guidelines" makes no mention of 853x480. According to this FAQ they do accept it for Standard Def 16x9.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]