FORUMS: list search recent posts

how to avoid banding on gradients?- exporting HD for bluray with compressor.

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andrew maclaurin
how to avoid banding on gradients?- exporting HD for bluray with compressor.
on Sep 23, 2012 at 11:26:50 am

hi,
i'm exporting a couple of projects originally created on AE and then edited in FC with Compressor. I'm using HD dvd settings adapted to bluray (the encode is for bluray, changed in the inspector window).
my problem is that i'm getting banding in parts of the video where the background is a colour gradient. the background is the only area affected and the rest of the compression is flawless. does anyone have any tips to stop the banding? In AE and FC there isn't any noticeable banding. it only appears after exporting with Compressor. thanks

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: how to avoid banding on gradients?- exporting HD for bluray with compressor.
on Sep 25, 2012 at 4:58:22 pm

[andrew maclaurin] "i'm exporting a couple of projects originally created on AE and then edited in FC with Compressor."

Perhaps the source files have been compressed several times, having lost information. We can't know without you including more details. You might use 8 or even 10 bit Uncompressed or ProRes (even 4444) for best results.

[andrew maclaurin] "I'm using HD dvd settings adapted to bluray (the encode is for bluray, changed in the inspector window).
"

I'm not sure that'll give you the best results. It does sound like you're using an older version encoding program if it has HD DVD presets.

[andrew maclaurin] "it only appears after exporting with Compressor."

You've hit it with another round of compression which might be just enough loss to cause the problem. Sorry but without more information all I can do is make guesses.

Return to posts index

andrew maclaurin
Re: how to avoid banding on gradients?- exporting HD for bluray with compressor.
on Sep 25, 2012 at 8:57:52 pm

thanks craig. i am using an older version of compressor as i can't afford to update.
i'm going to try applying a touch of noise on the original gradient on one of the videos that i made but the others i think are suffering from being compressed a few times like you said.
unfortunately i've been handed the videos from my client but i don't think they are original master copies.
i'll do some tests then get back if i have more info.
thanks for answering.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 26, 2012 at 1:52:34 pm

[andrew maclaurin] "i can't afford to update."

Compressor is $50. If you're making Blu-Ray you can just build that into the bill.
If you're just making a Screener, Compressor now has a preset that does the whole thing including a simple (very simple) menu.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]