FORUMS: list search recent posts

What's the best way to compress at 100+GB file so it fits on a 4.7 GB DVD and maintains good quality?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kelly Kim
What's the best way to compress at 100+GB file so it fits on a 4.7 GB DVD and maintains good quality?
on Sep 20, 2012 at 7:34:29 am

Hi there,

I'm fairly new to the forum, and really need some help with a compression issue.

I have two clients in the same situation. They have a four hour HD video they want to fit on one DVD as a data file! The video is 100+ GB and my DVD is only 4.7 GB. Is this even possible to do while maintaing quality? The compressor in FCP for the footage is DVCPRO HD 720p60.

I've only really used a couple of the settings in Compressor. I'm worried to start what I think would be an eight hour compression....my MacBook Pro get so hot...

So, I would appreciate any recommendations on settings in Compressor, or a way to create a fairly high quality video that is not going to have my computer burning all night.

By the way, is there any danger to my MacBook Pro getting so hot? It worries me...

Thank you in advance for your help!!

All of my media is on an external hard drive. I'm working on a MacBook Pro; 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor; 8GB 1067 MHz DDR3 Memory: FCP 7.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: What's the best way to compress at 100+GB file so it fits on a 4.7 GB DVD and maintains good quality?
on Sep 20, 2012 at 7:46:34 am

http://www.pimley.net/bitrateinfo/

You'd want to use a total data rate of around 2600kbps (I believe the actual data is about 4.38GB on DVD)
That would probably be OK for 720p60. Apple's H.264 codec isn't the greatest though.
You'd probably get better quality at that data rate if you used x264 variant. Squeeze, Episode (add on purchase) or Handbrake (free) use the codec.

Return to posts index

Kelly Kim
Re: What's the best way to compress at 100+GB file so it fits on a 4.7 GB DVD and maintains good quality?
on Sep 20, 2012 at 8:39:39 pm

Hi Craig,

Thank you so much for your help.

I'm looking at Handbrake and the Output settings I have are MP4 and MKV. Which do I choose? Sorry..Handbrake is new to me.

Then I choose h.264(x264) as the codec, and change the average bitrate to 2600? Do I change the framerate? Or check the 2-pass encoding box?

Thanks again!!

Kelly

Return to posts index

Kelly Kim
on Sep 21, 2012 at 6:26:05 pm

I setup Handbrake as described above to run overnight, and the file Handbrake created has the .mp4 extension. It's about 5.1GB. (The original file from FCP was 110 GB.)

When I tried to open/play the file in MPEG Streamclip, I got an error message that the file is "unrecognized file type". I tried to open in in Quicktime - I got an error that the file is "not in a format that Quicktime understands."

I tested this yesterday evening with a smaller file, and it worked perfectly. Did I miss something? Or am I asking too much to get 110GB on a 4.7 GB DVD?

Thank you for your help!

Return to posts index

Kelly Kim
on Sep 24, 2012 at 5:07:52 am

Can someone please help me with this issue? My client is expecting me to deliver the DVD this week. Are there any suggestions anyone can offer?

Please HELP!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 24, 2012 at 5:11:07 am

You might consider hiring someone.
Handbrake works fine but a professional would often consider Episode or Squeeze.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]