FORUMS: list search recent posts

My old iMac is beating my new Mac Pro in exactly the same render job. Why?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Corbey
My old iMac is beating my new Mac Pro in exactly the same render job. Why?
on Sep 10, 2012 at 3:30:03 pm

Just wondered if anyone could help out with this..

I just upgraded to a Mac Pro 3.2GHz Quad Core Xeon with 12GB ram and was expecting a bit of a performance boost compared to my old iMac - 3.2GHz Core 2 i3 with 8GB ram - so I decided to do a little test.

I took a 4 minute prores 422 file, copied it onto both machines, imported into compressor (version 4.04 on both) and set it to render down to a 720p de-interlaced h264 - I used one of the apple presets so I know the settings were exactly the same.

Both are set up to use qmasters quickcluster, with the iMac using two instances, and the Mac Pro using 6. Both were running at 100% CPU on all cores/threads during transcoding.

The iMac took 7.12 minutes and the Mac Pro took 9.18 minutes.

Can anyone tell me why the Mac Pro is running slower? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

John Corbey
Re: My old iMac is beating my new Mac Pro in exactly the same render job. Why?
on Sep 10, 2012 at 3:42:55 pm

Should also point out that both are running the same OS and both had no other background tasks running. Tried a few more times just to check the times were consistent, and they are. I'm baffled..

Return to posts index

Paul Roper
on Sep 17, 2012 at 4:08:36 pm

This is just a guess, but it's possible that the Mac Pro is spending a long time chopping up the job into segments before it gets to work on compressing it.

Could just be because Apple have absolutely no idea how to write software for those Apple computers.

Return to posts index

John Corbey
on Sep 17, 2012 at 4:27:39 pm

I think you may be right. In batch monitor it seems to take forever to split the job up for the different threads before it starts the transcoding process. I guess I'll only really see the benefit on bigger jobs then...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]