FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Compressor settings for 25 fps HD ProRes to Blu-Ray

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Knight
Best Compressor settings for 25 fps HD ProRes to Blu-Ray
on Sep 10, 2012 at 1:23:32 am

Hi all,

I've got a short film in 1080 prores, 25 frames per second.

I exported for Blu-Ray using compressor, m2v file, changed frame rate to 23.98, using Frame Controls, Rate Conversion, Fast (nearest frame).

The quality when projected on a cinema big screen was.... okay. I wasn't that happy with it.

Previously I had tried to export using Rate Conversion - Better, and it said it was going to take 24 hours or something....

What settings can i use in Compressor to get the absolute BEST quality conversion? Do I need to change the fps to 23.98 for the blu-ray to play in north american blu-ray players? Can I leave it at 25fps?

What are the ins and outs of the different options for Rate Conversion (under Retiming Control).

Thank you!

Would a 25fps blu-ray work?

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: Best Compressor settings for 25 fps HD ProRes to Blu-Ray
on Sep 11, 2012 at 5:41:10 pm

That frame rate won't play in N America. Is it progressive? Just conform to 23.98 (not convert). Cinema Tool does this....remember that tc are just numbers.

So important to film and edit 23.98 these days if your final output is DVD or BD Unless you are instructed by a client For other reason like broadcast

Return to posts index

Ben Knight
on Sep 11, 2012 at 6:43:49 pm

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it's 25p progressive, shot on a Canon 5d MK ii.

So shooting 24p on the 5d is actually 23.98 is it?

Actually, I don't understand the difference between conform and convert to 23.98...

Do you mean enter 23.98 in the encoder tab of compressor.... but leave frame controls off?

I was assuming the higher I set the settings in frame controls the better... ie rate conversion to GOOD instead of FAST... but maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Return to posts index

Ben Knight
on May 1, 2013 at 6:46:06 pm

In my subsequent project I did in fact conform using cinema tools, thanks for the info

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]