FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM HD 422 codec for Compressor 3.5?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Rohlman
XDCAM HD 422 codec for Compressor 3.5?
on Sep 5, 2012 at 2:28:58 am

Hi All,
I'm new to this forum but I hope you can help me out. Here are the basics of my question.

I work at a broadcast facility that has 7 edit suites with both AVID and FCP capability in each suite. The primary workflow is to edit on the AVID Symphony using the XDCAM 422HD codec, 720p @ 50mbs. We use Final Cut, AfterEffects, and Compressor on a case by case basis, depending on the editing and graphic needs of the project. We employ a large number of freelance editors so I am trying to develop a workflow that will easily convert the various video files that we occasionally receive to the XDCAM HD 422 codec.

My efforts have found that I can take a .mov file, say in h264, into FCP, put it into a timeline based on the XDCAM HD422 codec and export it in order to convert the file. I can then put it through a file convert program that will convert it from .mov to .mxf with zero loss. I do this to utilize the processing power of the MAC while still being able to edit on the AVID. Yes I can import a h264 directly into the AVID but it is painfully slow. Up rezing it in FCP and converting it with File Convert is faster. The conversion to .mxf takes about 4 seconds and the end result imports right into AVID about 20 times faster.

NOW, the real question is can I do this conversion with Compressor 3.5? I have made several Compressor droplets for other tasks, using Automator, and the end results work well, considering the nature of employing a freelance staff (this removes a lot of variables). My problem is that I cannot seem to find out if Compressor will import the XDCAM HD 422 codecs for 720p @50mbs, or if I can import additional codecs at all. The only codec that Compressor seems to have is the HDCAM HD 1080 flavor, and that is not compatible with our AVID system.

Hopefully someone out there can shed some light on this for me. Thanks in advance! And to answer the glaring question about WHY I actually want to uprez some crappy video file to HD, suffice it to say that in the past few years just about all broadcast standards for a quality signal have been tossed out the window in the name of "news". Today we get a huge variety of "video" files in just about every format you can imagine. One aspect of my job is to incorporate some of those files into our projects. I'm just trying to make this task a whole lot easier.

Rob

Return to posts index

Rob Rohlman
Re: XDCAM HD 422 codec for Compressor 3.5?
on Sep 8, 2012 at 1:22:49 am

Additional information on the system I am using.

Mac Tower
2 x 2.93 Ghz 6-core Intel Xeon
12 Gb 1.333 mhz DDR3
MAC os 10.6.8
Darwin 10.8.0
64 bit kernel

Compressor 3.5.3
Automator 2.1

Hopefully this helps

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved