FORUMS: list search recent posts

PC alternative to Apple Prores 422 HQ

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
George Rizkallah
PC alternative to Apple Prores 422 HQ
on Aug 29, 2012 at 5:04:45 pm

Hi Everyone,
I'm searching for a similar codec to Pro Res that can be rendered on PC's. I can't use Avid because I'm cutting on FCP 7.

This is for an ongoing series being created over seas, so we're looking for broadcast quality we can send over FTP or Signet or something similar.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
g-

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: PC alternative to Apple Prores 422 HQ
on Aug 29, 2012 at 5:29:22 pm

[George Rizkallah] "I'm searching for a similar codec to Pro Res that can be rendered on PC's. I can't use Avid because I'm cutting on FCP 7."

The alternative to ProRes would be DNxHD.

You probably need to explain your workflow (and maybe the budget) because, although expensive, one can certainly encode to ProRes on PC. Telestream Episode Engine on Windows 2008 Server can and there may be other options as well.

Also I'm not sure why you have a hard limit on the NLE you're editing with FCP7 is EOL. Avid and Premiere Pro are cross platform. FCPX does much better at handling multiple codec sources on a timeline as well although certainly it has limitations given its youth.

Rather than fight through a difficult workflow you may want to consider the workflow itself if it's serious problem, and it seems to be.

There may be other codec options but each with workflow challenges that you could easily avoid by using another workflow.

Return to posts index

George Rizkallah
on Aug 29, 2012 at 6:29:36 pm

HI Craig,
Thanks for the response. I'm working with 7 edit systems, 9 people and a broadcast deadline. So even if Apple is no longer updating FCP7, I've tested this work flow and know it gets the job done. Switching for a company of our size is not as easy as just buying some software.

We're working with an overseas animation studios that render on 100 or more Windows based machines and, currently, ship out uncompressed 10 bit files to us to post. Our clients were asking if there's a way to skip the shipping step and use a download of some kind. Because 10 bit uncompressed is so large, we've never really had luck doing that, so I'm just asking if there was an alternative that will not sacrifice quality.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 29, 2012 at 7:07:15 pm

[George Rizkallah] "We're working with an overseas animation studios that render on 100 or more Windows based machines and, currently, ship out uncompressed 10 bit files to us to post."

ProRes plays back on both platforms. They sure do seem like a candidate for Episode Engine if they're going to be working in a cross platform post workflow. That's exactly what Episode Engine is for.

CalibratedSoftware has a variety of cross platform plugins that can help.
http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/products.asp
This may allow you to import DNxHD .mxf on Mac.
But I don't know how you can avoid going to some expense somewhere in the workflow for compatibility.

With ProRes and Engine, you'd be able to use ProRes as source (already possible cross platform) and ProRes encoding (possible with Engine on Windows 2008 Server). With DNxHD .mxf the plugin will allow you to import but then you're back to issues of exporting from Mac to hand back to PC and I think the workflow gets more complex . . . exactly what you don't want to deal with on a broadcast deadline (IMHO).

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
on Aug 30, 2012 at 1:20:05 pm

Another alternative: High quality JPEG image sequences.

http://wolfcrow.com/blog/ - Workflow information and support for filmmakers, photographers, audiographers and videographers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]