FORUMS: list search recent posts

.mp4 to .mov for FCP X

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Evan Mitchell
.mp4 to .mov for FCP X
on Aug 19, 2012 at 3:56:46 pm

Hello,

I'm using a Retina MBP with Mountain Lion and FCP X, and an Hauppauge HD-PVR to record video game footage which is hooked up to my old iMac.

The HD-PVR natively compresses to h.264 .mp4 files so if I choose that option to export, it is the fastest as it just essentially copies the files. However, FCP X won't import mp4 files, so what I've been doing is using the "export to mov" feature using as close to the same compression settings as I can get. Here's my conundrum:

First off, I'm re-compressing, which I want to avoid as much as possible I'm seeing a dip in video quality (naturally) as it goes through an additional compression. Secondly, the export is slow as it re-encodes, partially due to the second encode, also my iMac is old and has seen better days.

Is it possible to use Quicktime or some other software to re-wrap the .mp4 file into a .mov without going through another compression cycle? I just want to get the best quality I can into FCP X after recording my gameplay, and the re-encode goes at about 5 FPS on my iMac. Very slow.

As a side note, the initial mp4 compression is unavoidable; the HD-PVR uses hardware encoding to get it to that format as it captures.

Many, many thanks for all your help!

Evan

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: .mp4 to .mov for FCP X
on Aug 19, 2012 at 5:22:35 pm

[Evan Mitchell] "FCP X won't import mp4 files"

That's odd. I'm frequently importing H.264 .mp4 and when I look into the media folder for FCPX, they're not even being rewrapped to .mov. In my case the H.264 .mp4 are usually recordings of live streams that must be edited.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]