FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need advice on progressive downloads (but will take any advice you're offering!)

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lisa Chi
Need advice on progressive downloads (but will take any advice you're offering!)
on Aug 10, 2012 at 3:26:25 pm

Hi there,

I'm pretty new to Apple's Compressor (and admittedly not the most technologically savvy gal out there) and would really appreciate some advice on compression settings.

We're in the process of setting up a new website where we will have 20-45 minute videos available for download (not sure yet if there will be an online streaming option).

The videos are shot on a Canon Vixia HFG10 and edited in FCPX. I have been experimenting with export and compression settings and can't seem to get it right. Initially I was sending projects directly to Compressor from FC but it would take days sometimes to compress. Now, I'm exporting out of FC as Apple ProRes which I think might be making files unnecessarily large. The files look good but are REALLY big (after compression between 300-800MB). When testing out the download from our site, the files would open before fully downloading and only play to a certain point. I think this might be an issue with the progressive setting but it never loads past that point and it's a different point every time. Any ideas? Ideally, I would like files to be under 200MB and download quickly. Is it better to not use progressive settings? Truthfully, I have no clue about this stuff.

These are the current settings I'm using in Compressor:
File Extension: mov
Estimated size: unknown
Audio Encoder
AAC, Stereo (L R), 44.100 kHz
Video Encoder
Width and Height: Up to 1280 x 720
Pixel aspect ratio: Default
Crop: None
Padding: None
Frame rate: (100% of source)
Frame Controls On:
Retiming: (Fast) Nearest Frame
Resize Filter: Linear Filter
Deinterlace Filter: Better (Motion Adaptive)
Adaptive Details: On
Antialias: 0
Detail Level: 0
Field Output: Progressive
Codec Type: H.264
Multi-pass: On, frame reorder: On
Pixel depth: 24
Spatial quality: 75
Min. Spatial quality: 25
Temporal quality: 50
Min. temporal quality: 25
Fast Start: on

If there's any info I've missed let me know. Any advice would be a HUGE help. Thanks everyone!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Need advice on progressive downloads (but will take any advice you're offering!)
on Aug 26, 2012 at 9:11:52 pm

I don't see data rate listed.

Data rate relative to internet connection speed will determine how fast the file buffers. Generally as long as the file caches faster than you play it in real time, the viewer would have a very fast start (as per your setting) and then just keep playing. Depending on the internet speed and the file size, it's possible that the cacheing could be slower than real time. That would result in a stall. Of course you need to anticipate the range of possible internet connection speeds when you decide on a data rate for the file.

In short, you'd probably need to lower the data rate or your internet connection is slow.

Return to posts index

Ty Thompson
Re: Need advice on progressive downloads (but will take any advice you're offering!)
on Aug 29, 2012 at 3:26:32 am

Main level 3 mpeg4 avc, crf 22, 24-26 if graphics or animation.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]