FORUMS: list search recent posts

Good alternative to MPEG Streamclip?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Max Palmer
Good alternative to MPEG Streamclip?
on Aug 10, 2012 at 2:35:44 pm

I've been using MPEG streamclip as the swiss-army knife of my video compression, and most importantly, the only tool I have that will convert files to Windows Media with the Flip4Mac Pro quicktime addon.

Don't get me wrong, I think MPEG Streamclip is absolutely fantastic, and the fact that it costs nothing feels like I'm stealing it. But I'm converting a lot more these days, and I'd like to look into things that are little more comprehensive and user friendly. Sometimes I find myself making little mistakes in Streamclip, like accidentally leaving interlacing check on a progressive file, or the aspect ratio comes out wrong. Also, I'd like something that has a better indication of final file size once compressed. I've heard that Episode is pretty good. Is there anything else I should be looking at, maybe less expensive? I currently work with Adobe production suite, and I would do most of my conversion with Adobe Media Encoder, however for some reason only MPEG Streamclip lets me convert to windows media, which I do a lot of around here.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: Good alternative to MPEG Streamclip?
on Aug 16, 2012 at 7:09:09 pm

Hmmm...in Media Encoder try first encoding to Quicktime and when it asks what kind of Quicktime see if WMV isn't in there someplace. You do the same thing in compressor.

Compressor is pretty good. The jump to Episode is about $700 but I use it every single day.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 26, 2012 at 9:17:59 pm

Flip4Mac Studio series, which you seem to have, also works in Apple Compressor which is $50. You'd be using the same Flip4Mac interface to create the settings though.

Episode is an excellent and much more flexible in its codec support than Compressor and it starts at $495.

Return to posts index

chris king
on Jul 1, 2014 at 8:59:36 am

Have you ever tried Handbrake? It may help you do the video converter on Mac OS X. At this moment what I wanna talk about is MPEG Streamclip and Mavericks. After installing Mavericks, I found that MPEG Streamclip no longer work friendly, couldn't properly save your edited movies or even won't read or open files. I googled the solution and some guys recommend to get an altnernative to MPEG Stramclip.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]