FORUMS: list search recent posts

Does file size affect load speed in youtube?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Crowell
Does file size affect load speed in youtube?
on Aug 9, 2012 at 4:13:39 am

Hi everybody,
Can't seem to find anything definitive around the internet. I tend to compress my 5 minute videos for youtube in the 75% quality range (h.264, of course). I could probably go lower without noticeable artifacts, but my question is: is there any benefit to a smaller file size for youtube? Will it improve the speed at which it loads, or is it re-encoded anyway (on the HD level) using a specific bit-rate?

Video editor, animator, composer, producer
JustinCrowell.com

Return to posts index

David Eaks
Re: Does file size affect load speed in youtube?
on Aug 9, 2012 at 5:34:35 am

I think YouTube reencodes everything, if so you want to give YouTube the best quality video to start with that you can (within YouTube spec). But what do I know?

Return to posts index

Justin Crowell
on Aug 10, 2012 at 1:37:32 am

Right...I read that, but that doesn't explicitly explain what they do with the files, whether they re-encode or not. Is the higher bit rate for people with an audience that will view the files over enterprise connections, or just those who are able to upload such large files?

Using MPEG streamclip, I'm also limited to a basic quality slider, so understanding whether a large file (which presumably is higher bitrate) will affect playback is really important for me.

Basically, what I'm asking is: what does the suggested bitrate mean, and how does bitrate really affect youtube playback?

JustinCrowell.com

Return to posts index

Justin Crowell
on Aug 10, 2012 at 2:35:23 am

Pardon me, just realized I can set a bitrate in MPEG Streamclip...still have no idea how youtube actually treats the video, though...

JustinCrowell.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 10, 2012 at 2:41:26 am

[Justin Crowell] "but that doesn't explicitly explain what they do with the files"

http://www.streamingmedia.com/Articles/Editorial/Featured-Articles/Encoding...

Return to posts index

Justin Crowell
on Aug 10, 2012 at 6:12:54 am

Now THAT is exactly what I'm looking for! Any chance you know of something similar for vimeo?

JustinCrowell.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]