FORUMS: list search recent posts

aspect ratio preservation of photo slide show using compressor 3.5.3

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vincent Strader
aspect ratio preservation of photo slide show using compressor 3.5.3
on Aug 8, 2012 at 12:49:27 am

I got a call from a friend I could not help with over the phone.

Whenever he burns a dvd of a photo slide show directly out of compressor he says all the photos blow up on the screen to the size of the entire HD monitor he's using. He exported out of FCP7 using Apple Pro Res.

I suggested he export the time line using NTSC DV 48 KHZ, take that file into Compressor using DVD 90 minutes fastest encode.

He mentioned that he had tried that before he thought, but all his photos that looked fine on his time line in FCP were still getting stretched to fill the full TV set.

I went to google and did a search for this "How to preserve aspect ratio photo slide show compressor 3.5.3" but I could not find any tutorial articles.

Thanks for any help I could relay back to him.

Vinnie
---
24, LOST, Prison Break, FRINGE, Supernatural, DEXTER, Breaking Bad, CHUCK, Flash Forward, HEROES...even SMALLVILLE in the latter seasons.. they've all ruined my movie going experience by being better than so many movies out today.

Return to posts index

Russ Haskell
Re: aspect ratio preservation of photo slide show using compressor 3.5.3
on Aug 8, 2012 at 1:18:01 pm

You didn't mention how your friend is creating the slide show. If it is in an NLE like FCP, the way a still image will be displayed depends on the sequence aspect ratio…and whether the editor decides to transform it (say, by zooming to fill out the screen).

Without transforming, a 6x4 image would be expected to display pillar-boxed in a 16X9 sequence and letter-boxed in a 4x3 sequence.

When you bring that into Compressor, it will "see" the input file as either a 16:9 or 4:3…not the image and black bars separately. Its output file would display on a TV screen accordingly…that is with the 6X4 photo within either frame size and with vertical or horizontal black bars.

Russ

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]