FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Pre-processing workflow for H.264 to Vimeo and YouTube

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sarah Davis
Best Pre-processing workflow for H.264 to Vimeo and YouTube
on Aug 3, 2012 at 9:14:20 pm

Hi,

I have been doing a lot of reading on the web and in various books, trying to get some good, current info about pre-processing H.264 for Vimeo and YouTube. Particularly in terms of saturation, gamma etc. Have't really been able to find any up to date comprehensive info so I would like to throw the question to the collective intelligence of the Creative Cow forum.

What are people doing to make their movies look great on Vimeo and YouTube?

Are you using the Prepare for web H.264 filter in Sorenson 8. If so, are you using as is or tweaking it?
Or are you doing something else?

My Mac workflow is to start with a Pro Res HQ Master from FCP which has been graded in Color on my broadcast monitor to broadcast specs and take this into Sorenson 8.5. I encode to Mainconcept H.264 with encoding specs optimised for YouTube and Vimeo.

I would be very interested to hear about people's workflow for image adjustments to make their movies look great on Vimeo and YouTube.

In terms of testing the result of image adjustments - I have been uploading to YouTube and Vimeo and comparing the results in Safari 5.1.7. My computer monitors have been calibrated with the Snow Leopard's bundled calibration tool which I know is not terribly accurate so I am not feeling confident about relying on the monitors to access the results of the tests.

I have been using Apple's DigitalColor meter 3.7.2 to measure blacks and highlights of my vimeo movies.

What calibration methods and tools do people recommend? Should I look at getting X-Rite's i1Display Pro? And are people using Apple's DigitalColor meter.

Thanks for reading, any suggestions and advice would be very much appreciated.

Sarah

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]