FORUMS: list search recent posts

AppleTV2 and PAL

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Wood
AppleTV2 and PAL
on Jul 17, 2012 at 10:44:44 am

Hi,

I feel like I'm wrestling with Compressor 4 on Mac...
I'm editing in FCPX, a video which is PAL, 720x576 (Anamorphic), @25fps, interlaced.

I want to encode it as H264, 720x576, 25fps, deinterlaced, 3000kbps bitrate, AAC 256k and, most importantly, play on AppleTV2. Basically, I just want to preserve as much as I can, without resizing etc.

And my final thoughts, are that I cannot use Compressor. Which does seem a little strange, but I'd like to confirm I'm not missing something.

I can start by saying, I already have some of my videos converted to the exact format I want (above) And they play fine on the AppleTV2. But the only way I could do it, was to have Compressor render DV, and then use Handbrake.

Handbrake does what I want, compressor doesn't. I just can't understand why.

When I choose "H264 for Apple Devices" and "AppleTV SD (Anamorphic)" in Compressor it seems to flat out reject any concept of the PAL video I have.
It's NTSC all the way... the only ratio I can choose is 720x480 or 720x461 etc. And letting it do it automatically will choose 720x480 and 30fps!

I could go on with all the other settings I've tried but it all ends in tears ;-)
I cannot find any combination of output that will render the output I want.

Is the reason for Compressor having such restrictive options, because it's being ultra compatible (catering for iPhones etc) and is not as flexible as I need?

Or is it that, technically speaking, the output I want isn't supported, and that's why Compressor won't do it, but when I do it on Handbrake, it just happens to play?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]