FORUMS: list search recent posts

5D to RGB -does it really upscale to 444?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dylan Hargreaves
5D to RGB -does it really upscale to 444?
on Jul 12, 2012 at 9:41:56 am

Hi all,

I've started using Rarevision's 5D to RGB for transcoding and it does seem to do a fine job of converting DSLR footage into something more robust and gradeable. But I'm having difficulty getting my head round the idea that it can somehow take 420 footage and convert it to 444. Google seems a bit vague on the subject, so does anyone know if it's really doing this? I mean really really?

Cheers!

D

Return to posts index

Everest Mokaeff
Re: 5D to RGB -does it really upscale to 444?
on Jul 12, 2012 at 12:42:57 pm

The short answer is YES. Although the devil is in detail: If there is no data in the first place you can't get it through conversion or transcoding. What this app is doing is giving you more editable media file to work with. Unfortunately, it's unable to fill in the gapes of 420 encoding scheme.

Production and Postproduction in Moscow
http://www.mokaeff.com

Return to posts index

Dylan Hargreaves
on Jul 12, 2012 at 4:32:03 pm

Thanks Everest... So to get it straight in my head, so long as something's been shot correctly on 8-bit or 420 - capturing as much shadow and highlight detail as possible, 5d to RGB will increase the latitude of the shot for grading and post-production?

I'm interested as I'm picking up a new FS700 next week and I want to know what my options are for making the most of the avchd codec!

Return to posts index

Everest Mokaeff
on Jul 12, 2012 at 5:34:50 pm

Nope, there's not gonna be a latitude (if you use this term to describe the range of exposures for which an emulsion or printing paper will give acceptable contrast). The only edge you'll get is kind of smoother handling of media inside editing/CC application due to artificially increased volume of data available for every pixel. As a practical result you'll have fewer compression artifacts, color banding, polarization to name but few as you apply drastic visual postproduction changes. Anyways, in my opinion this artificial boosting is well worthy in post. Although you kind of end up with phony data for every pixel it is still better off than having lousy true 8-bit 420 footage as is.

Production and Postproduction in Moscow
http://www.mokaeff.com

Return to posts index

igor jovcevski
on Oct 6, 2012 at 9:44:17 am

I would :
1.edit with transcoded dnx or prores/
2.grade with original if simple grading is needed. (every diplay of an image requires decompression to 444)

Igor
Woowave.com
tools for digital artists

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]