FORUMS: list search recent posts

Going crazy- first major production, not sure of format!

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Max Palmer
Going crazy- first major production, not sure of format!
on Jun 15, 2012 at 3:13:06 pm

First time posting in the Compression forum. I'm new to video production, and I have a clip that we're shooting on green screen next week. The clip will be used in conjunction with an animated piece that I'm also producing. At first, I was under the impression that the final piece was only going to be used on the web, so I was going to have the studio shoot progressive video and save me the trouble of deinterlacing.

But today, I've learned that my company is now intending on using this piece all over the place- DVD (either flash-based for play on a computer, or normal DVD I'm not sure yet- probably both) any number of mobile devices, as well as the web. So now I'm possibly struggling with interlaced and progressive formats, as well as a variety of screen sizes and ratios.

So my question is, should I have the studio shoot the clip in 1080i instead? How much do I need to worry about interlaced DVD's these days? The DVD's alone are going to be produced to the tune of 50,000 and they could be played on any number of devices. I also haven't set up my after effects project for interlaced format either, and I'm VERY deep into it. Can I fix that after the fact now?

Sorry for the freak out. I have 6 days to figure it out!

Return to posts index

Michael McIntyre
Re: Going crazy- first major production, not sure of format!
on Jun 15, 2012 at 3:23:03 pm

Shoot progressive. Never look back. You'll be fine.

Return to posts index

Max Palmer
on Jun 15, 2012 at 3:24:26 pm

So it won't look odd if it goes directly to DVD? Not that I don't believe you- I just want to be sure that I understand. :-)

Return to posts index

Michael McIntyre
on Jun 15, 2012 at 3:55:46 pm

Hey Max,

Didn't mean to be so cryptic w/ my brief response. Forums often provide the chance to both inform and impress. As in - someone might suggest you could it 'this way' or 'that way' and you might try 'this other way'.

DVD players will add the pulldown necessary to play back on a TV. Rent a movie, you're watching 24p.

Looks better, saves space too.

Cheers - Michael

Return to posts index

Max Palmer
on Jun 15, 2012 at 3:56:59 pm

That's very helpful, thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]