FORUMS: list search recent posts

Another FCP to You Tube

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elliot Beach
Another FCP to You Tube
on Jun 13, 2012 at 8:44:10 pm

Hi there.

So I know what to do I would just like to clarify something.

I have a 1080 pro res video @ 3 minutes which is 3.2GB when exported as pro res. I want to get this onto YouTube/vimeo at the best possible quality. Should I just give it a standard k/bits second (6000?) or should I try and make the file size come in at just under 2GB in size (which is the YouTube limit).

What will be the best option for highest quality?

Also there is a option 'optimize for download or streaming'. It will be only streaming on YouTube so if it worth selecting that? I haven't seen anyone talking about that on the net

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Elliot Beach
Re: Another FCP to You Tube
on Jun 13, 2012 at 10:19:08 pm

In addition i seem to be getting a little bug which i cant figure out why. On the FCP timeline everything is fine, all the clips look exactly how i want them and everything is on the lowest possible video track. However when i send it to Compressor at the same point during the video the screen goes black for about 1/2 a second. It is even shown in the actual Compressor preview. Its even fine is i export form FCP.

What could be causing this?

Return to posts index

Elliot Beach
on Jun 13, 2012 at 10:19:54 pm

Accidental double post**

Return to posts index

Brad Elliott
on Jun 14, 2012 at 8:36:48 pm

I would recommend reading this:
http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/static.py?hl=en&guide=1728585&topic=1...

We only upload H264 files to Youtube and have been very happy with the results. If you add an H264 setting to your PR clip in Compressor you can follow the guidelines above and then adjust your data rate to get the size under 2GB. You can get an idea of the output size will be in the summary tab of the inspector window(far left under description).

Return to posts index

Elliot Beach
on Jun 14, 2012 at 8:43:42 pm

Hi thanks for reply. I will have a read of the article.

Yes I understand all that and have been using H.264 but I wanted to know. If the file size is just under 2GB will that take longer to load/stream for some users? Would it be better to go for a 20,000kbits/s to get about a 500mb file and trade off a small amount of quality of streaming quality? Or the fact that it is just under 2GB doesn't really matter.

Also, does teh Streaming option have more advantages over disadvantages, quality wise? I read somewhere that it can effect parts in the video that have a lot of motion, does anyone know if that is true?

Return to posts index

Brad Elliott
on Jun 14, 2012 at 9:49:11 pm

Youtube isn't super helpful in letting users know exactly what happens behind the curtain. I presume their automated compression system is doing something to all files even if it is just changing the extensions for HD.

Besides telling you to make sure internet streaming is set to fast start they offer no other guidelines. In my experience the smaller the file the faster it will load. There are amazing looking high action ten minute HD H264 files that are under 150MB(1280x720).

I would do some tests with one minute of your most complex footage. I would start at 4000, 6000, 8000, & 12000. I would be surprised if you can see a noticeable difference on Youtube or in QT when playing back the same file at 12MB vs 16MB.

In my experience using lower data rates have delivered amazing results without going above 12MB and there has been no sacrifice in quality or long waits for the stream to play properly.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]