FORUMS: list search recent posts

1080i Conversion to DVD Question.

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Mooney
1080i Conversion to DVD Question.
on Jun 6, 2012 at 3:24:37 am

I have a one hour video for the web and the original timeline format is AVC-Intra 100 1080i. I need to burn it to a DVD for playback on a 16 x 9 monitor and I am looking for a way to get the sharpest results.

Working with Premiere CS6 on a PC. Burning using Media Encoder and mastering with DVD SP on a MAC.

I did a test using the MPEG-2 preset for high quality; bumped the settings up a bit and the final looks soft played on a 40 inch monitor.

I know it's being blow-up and it's not going to look great from 720 x 480 but this is really flat.

I tried another test and this time I added a sharpness filter on the timeline at 25 in CS6 and it made a difference. I can't see any artifacting from the filter but it's still flat.

Right now I am looking for any tricks of the trade that would help sharpen the final product. I know it's low quality but I want to give it my best shot.

One thing I am not sure about is Premiere give you all the presets and I used the "match source attributes highest quality" as a starting point.

I noticed another preset that's listed as "NTSC widescreen high quality". It changes the Pixel Aspect Ratio to Widescreen 16 x 9 (1.212) rather than source attributes.

Also the GOP changes preset changes from 12 to 15. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Is that the preset I should be using to get the best results, NTSC widescreen?

I am just making an assumption but if everything is in the right place I have to work with the timeline to get the sharpest picture.

The majority of the time the camera is static so I would trade sharpness and clarity for artifacts during movement.

One of big problems with the video is it was shot existing light and it was low. Alot of the shots are medium to wide and the even the web movie lack a certain level of crispness.

Appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: 1080i Conversion to DVD Question.
on Jun 6, 2012 at 6:34:57 am

Down converterting is the most important process here:

http://www.precomposed.com/blog/2009/07/hd-to-sd-dvd-best-methods/

Follow this tutorial carefully

http://bellunevideo.com/tutorials/hd2sdTutorial/hd2sd.html

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved