FORUMS: list search recent posts

Specifics Needed to Reduce File Size

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Faulconer
Specifics Needed to Reduce File Size
on Jun 3, 2012 at 1:18:07 pm

Salutations! I need help figuring out the codec, and any other necessary information, for creating files that are as high in quality as they can be while still being managable as far as size. My status is this: I am running Vista on a Gateway PC using .MTS files from my Canon Vixia HF200 HD camcorder. What I have been doing is importing the source .MTS file into Premiere Pro using the AVCHD 1080p24 preset, then exporting it in the Windows Media format using the preset NTSC Source To high Quality Download preset. That has thus far produced a manageable sized file I can then import into After Effects. My questions are these:

A) have I processed the .MTS file into the codec I should? It seems to convert it pretty accurately, and at a nice file size, so I think it's fine but advice is welcome, and most importantly B) How in the world do I do my work in After Effects and then export the file into something worth looking at? I either have to sacrifice quality in the name of file size to the point where it looks like I am trying to pass off grainy Loch Ness Monster footage or I have a file so large only NASA could access it. I have 18 seconds of footage that I can get down to no less than 350 mb in size, and as that's only 18 seconds of about five minutes of footage I need I know I need to address this ahead of time. I have Googled my questions but so far I have seen essentially the same answers which tend to be 'WELL it depends on many factors...' and then it devolves into seventeen links being offered up when I suspect, (nay I know!), that there has to be an easier way. In a nutshell my goal is this: To create entertaining little short films (a la SNL Digital Shorts) that can be viewed on the web, which I understand would be one file size and type, but also to be collected on DVD. Please advise!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]