FORUMS: list search recent posts

Suitable alternative to .DV ? for AVID Thunder

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett Ramsey
Suitable alternative to .DV ? for AVID Thunder
on May 15, 2012 at 2:50:27 pm

Anyone know of an alternative to .DV that will work with AVID Thunder? It will only accept anamorphic DV files as far as I can see, I tried to import 1024 X 576 PAL and it only showed the bottom right corner.
DV is causing us major interlacing issues with footage coming from a VERY wide variety of codecs and screen sizes.
Also need to be able to do this on a Mac G5 we can't afford anything newer.

Brett Ramsey
FCP/Mac hold out in a very PC environment.

Return to posts index

Gary Hazen
Re: Suitable alternative to .DV ? for AVID Thunder
on May 15, 2012 at 3:48:37 pm

It depends on what version of Thunder you are running. We had an old version of Thunder (pre MXF). Our standard work flow was to import DV files (Pinnacle codec). If necessary we could import HD files - 1920 x 1080, Quictime, animation codec, 29.97 fps. On import it would convert the file to SD (our system was SD only). I recall having to tweak the import settings, however it's been so long I don't remember which settings were adjusted.

If you have the newer MXF based Thunder with HD enabled you have a couple of options. Try to find a copy of Thunder Browse, this will allow you to transcode the files into a Thunder friendly format. You'll need to install it on a PC if you a PC available (doesn't run on Mac OS). Or you can try to dig up the old Avid DNxHD codecs (v1.8) and then convert the files to DNxHD using TMPGenc, AE or another suitable app. You might find the legacy codecs on Avid's site.

Hopefully one of these options will work ouf for you. Thunder is either already EOL or well on it's way. Good luck.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]