FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressing to a suitable windows format on the macintosh.

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wesley Blokker
Compressing to a suitable windows format on the macintosh.
on May 15, 2012 at 10:27:16 am

Hey guys, girls,

I just got a request to convert a lot of .MTS (mpeg transport stream) files to a windows suitable codec. I figured .wmv or .avi would be the way to go but that now seems to be easier said then done.

I'm on a mac and I first changed the files from .MTS to ProRes. Because I thought compressor could deliver me the .avi files but compressor doesn't take the .mts files. But the .avi files rendered from compressor are eh... how do we say this polite... freakin' ugly. I think it's an PAL/NTSC only compression and not HD.

I changed the files to pro res using Adobe Media Encoder CS6 (<-- awesomeness) but there I can't export .wmv or .avi at all.

Does anyone know a solution to this?

The end result should be files that can be used on a windows machine to be used in a basic editing program such as Windows Movie * cough cough * maker * cough * as these are just home video's.

Thanks for your efforts already!

Kind regards,

Wesley.

Return to posts index

Gerry Lawson
Re: Compressing to a suitable windows format on the macintosh.
on May 16, 2012 at 10:41:00 pm

Apple has a free Prores codec (decode) for Windows. Perhaps the Prores codec will allow you to edit the Prores files in Moviemaker? It's probably worth trying if the Prores files aren't too large.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]