FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 HDV playout to SD DVD using Compressor 3.5.3

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Tully
FCP 7 HDV playout to SD DVD using Compressor 3.5.3
on May 9, 2012 at 8:44:21 pm

We're playing out from FCP 7 from a HDV sequence (footage was shot, captured and cut in HDV - 1440X1080i). Exporting directly to Compressor from FCP7, then to DVD Studio Pro 4, then to Toast 10 and onto DVD.
Our results are ok, but we feel we can get better picture quality as there is pulsing and some picture blurring on DVD playback.
What is the best possible work flow for the above process??
Help!

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
Re: FCP 7 HDV playout to SD DVD using Compressor 3.5.3
on May 10, 2012 at 12:45:49 am

Exporting a reference movie from FCP then bringing that into Compressor will likely speed up your encoding times, rather than "export to Compressor". Are your DVD settings in Compressor correct in terms of frame rate, progressive/interlaced, etc? Why are you going from DVD Studio Pro to Toast as opposed to just burning in DVDSP?

Return to posts index

Paul Tully
on May 10, 2012 at 9:00:08 am

Hi Eric,
Our settings are correct in Compressor (Interlace, frame rate etc) and we go to Toast because we were initially told it was the best route to DVD. Should we simply burn from DVD Studio Pro and will this give better results?
Thanks.

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
on May 10, 2012 at 4:48:19 pm

Hey Paul,

I'm concerned that Toast maybe re-compressing your footage once you bring it in, with means your already compressed footage is being compressed again.
You can certainly burn in DVDSP, once you create your menu and whatnot, simply click Build & Format at the top.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on May 20, 2012 at 2:06:36 pm

If you're building a DVD in DVDSP, then there's no reason/advantage to go to toast...
...unless we're talking blu-ray, in which case there's no need to go to DVDSP.

Best,

Jeff I. Greenberg
Editor/Author/Speaker/Consulting
My NAB seminar schedule, contact info and more

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]