FORUMS: list search recent posts

Still images with transitions in FCPX not compressing properly in MPEG Streamclip

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicole Robicheau
Still images with transitions in FCPX not compressing properly in MPEG Streamclip
on May 8, 2012 at 10:36:28 pm

Hi,

I’m working on a Mac, using Lion (10.7.3). I’m using FCPX (version 10.0) and making sequences using audio and still photos. I am then exporting the sequences as QuickTime files using the Apple ProRes 422 codec. Then, I'm importing the files into MPEG Streamclip to convert them into H.264, and again exporting them as QuickTime files. I’m using them in a web-based doc, so the smaller file, the better. It has been working perfectly except for when I use the transition tool in FCPX to add cross-dissolves between the photos. This makes it so that for whatever reason, MPEG Streamclip doesn’t compress the files properly, the photos are all pixilated. Anyone have any idea why this is happening?

Thanks so much,

Nicole

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: Still images with transitions in FCPX not compressing properly in MPEG Streamclip
on May 20, 2012 at 2:12:50 pm

Nicole,

I think that the data rate that you're using for the h.264 file in mpeg streamclip is too low.

Highly compressed formats like h.264, only update the pixels where there is change.

During a dissolve, every pixel is changing, which is very hard at low data rates...by increasing the data rate, you'll find some level where it works.

Also, I'd suggest using the Share menu out of FCPX - the defaults they use for h.264 are pretty decent.

Best,

Jeff I. Greenberg
Editor/Author/Speaker/Consulting
My NAB seminar schedule, contact info and more

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]