FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressing 30 minute HD video to 60MB

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Max Tubman
Compressing 30 minute HD video to 60MB
on May 8, 2012 at 1:37:02 pm

Hello all,

I have a number of lectures I shot ranging from 20-40 minutes. I edited them in Final Cut and the client needs them in 60MB WMV files. I have no problem converting to WMV but I am having a heap of trouble getting an acceptable quality video that fits these size paramaters. I can deliver some of the longer videos in sections. So far I have tried lowering the frame rate to 15fps, shrinking the size to a smaller 16:9 ratio, lowering the bit rate, and switching audio to a mono track. I am exporting using Mpeg streamclip with flip4mac plug in. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Michael McIntyre
Re: Compressing 30 minute HD video to 60MB
on May 9, 2012 at 2:46:55 am

Hey Max,

Since you're cutting in FCP and have flip4mac, you should be able to use quicktime export components for windows within Apple Compressor. Might give you more control over the exports than MPEG Streamclip.

Admittedly, this Ken Stone post is ancient but it should still apply to installing the items and tweaking within Compressor:

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/encoding_windows_flip4mac_gary.html

I use Streamclip all the time (DSLR, etc.) but not for compression where I need more 'control'.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on May 9, 2012 at 3:03:52 am

30 minutes in 60mb may be a bridge too far. The data rate would have to be under 33KB total or 264Kbps. Including sound. Considering bad quality mp3s are 128Kbps and that's just sound.

Online Editor | Colorist | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

William Caulfield
on May 9, 2012 at 7:16:41 pm

I would assume that he just hasn't gone down far enough in the resolution. 200k video and 64k audio should look great at 240x136 :)

With the same bitrates it would probably be solid with 2 pass encoding at 320x180.

William Caulfield
Video Encoding Manager
http://metroencoding.com

Return to posts index

Ben Waggoner
on May 30, 2012 at 5:57:31 pm

Fortunately lecture content is generally pretty easy to encode.

You'll need something better than Flip4Mac to get the bitrate down low enough. Expression Encoder 4 SP2 is free for WMV/VC-1 encoding, and quite good at this kind of stuff. What's the minimum version of Windows you need to support? Assuming XP SP2 (with Windows Media Player 9), I'd look at doing something like:

Audio:
WMA VBR Unconstrained at 48 Kbps if there's occasional music or sound effects.
If it's just voice you care about, you could use WMA Voice at 20 Kbps.

Video:
VC-1 Main VBR Constrained at 512x288
Average bitrate of whatever's left after audio
Keyframe interval of 10 seconds
Turn on Denoise Filter
Turn off Closed GOP
And if you've got CPU time to burn, these options are slower-but-better:
Motion Chroma Search=Adaptive True Chroma
Motion Match Method=Adaptive

If you can afford

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>