FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quality .avi file from QT

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Watts
Quality .avi file from QT
on May 4, 2012 at 9:26:34 pm

Have been struggling to convert an Avid QT Ref file to .avi. The issue is the length, it's an 80 minute film.
We need to send it to a partner who will do some editing with PPro on windows.
I know that Avid itself will not make anything larger than 2GB. I've tried MPEG Streamclip..with nothing but instant "fails". QT Pro looks like it does it, but I get a weird file with the video playing back at about 4x speed?!?
The Avid I'm working on is a Symphony 6 on PC.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

John Watts

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: Quality .avi file from QT
on May 5, 2012 at 9:50:25 pm

[John Watts] "Have been struggling to convert an Avid QT Ref file to .avi. The issue is the length, it's an 80 minute film.
We need to send it to a partner who will do some editing with PPro on windows.
I know that Avid itself will not make anything larger than 2GB. I've tried MPEG Streamclip..with nothing but instant "fails". QT Pro looks like it does it, but I get a weird file with the video playing back at about 4x speed?!?
The Avid I'm working on is a Symphony 6 on PC.
Any suggestions?"

Sure do! AVI is a lousy container for video; Premiere Pro can use QuickTime if he's installed it.

But that just addresses the container, not the codec; you could send them an QuickTime file, with the DNxHD compression of choice (I'm assuming you're working in HD) and Premiere Pro can see if fine, if he installs QuickTime and DNxHD (quicktime codecs.)

Avid will certainly make something larger than 2GB - but AVI files are usually limited to 2GB - again, again reason to skip AVI files.

You have sorenson squeeze - Are you sending a HD or do you want to post this via FTP? Second, out of curiousity, what was this shot in?

Best,

Jeff I. Greenberg
Editor/Author/Speaker/Consulting
My NAB seminar schedule, contact info and more

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]