FORUMS: list search recent posts

MPEG Streamclip conversions - clip truncates at 30 sec

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Katja Heinemann
MPEG Streamclip conversions - clip truncates at 30 sec
on Apr 30, 2012 at 12:40:22 pm

I've been experiencing problems with my MPEG Streamclip conversions lately, after everything went without a hitch since I first got the program. Now, when I try to export/convert, many clips get truncated at 30 seconds. It doesn't happen all the time, and I haven't been able to figure out how or if it's related to the codec I am transcoding from or to, but it's always at 30 secs.

Are there any overriding settings that may have gotten tweaked accidentally? Did my version of the program get corrupted? The in & out points are not set to 30 secs, and I selected "revert all settings" too, for good measure. I tried to reinstall, but it didn't override my previously saved settings, so wasn't a clean start and didn't fix anything.

Right now it seems to let me convert RAW Canon 5D Mark ii HDSLR clips to my usual XDCAM settings, which is great. But I need to transcode a job to WMV Windows Media files, and was hoping to use MPEG Streamclip for that process, and have not been able to get a full clip out of the program. Help?! Or suggestions for other converters to do that job?

I am working in OS 10.6.8 on an Intel Xeon dual core 2x2.66 GHz Power PC, but similar issues are also happening on my laptop, both in the beta version (MPEG_Streamclip_1.9.3b7) and the older, full version (MPEG_Streamclip_1.9.2)

Many thanks for your help! Katja

FCP 7.0.2. -- Snow Leopard 10.6.4 -- Mac Pro 2x2.66. GHz Dual Core Intel Xeon, 4GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: MPEG Streamclip conversions - clip truncates at 30 sec
on Apr 30, 2012 at 2:07:31 pm

[Katja Heinemann] "But I need to transcode a job to WMV Windows Media files, and was hoping to use MPEG Streamclip for that process, and have not been able to get a full clip out of the program. Help?! Or suggestions for other converters to do that job?"

Because you're running Flip4Mac in demo mode. Purchase Flip4Mac Studio Pro HD.

Return to posts index

Katja Heinemann
on Apr 30, 2012 at 2:28:07 pm

So Flip4Mac functions as a plug-in of sorts to MPEG Streamclip and does the windows conversion? I've had the same issue with other conversions that were QT based, no WMV involved, but will have to keep testing that and send an example when back at the studio. Many thanks! Katja

FCP 7.0.2. -- Snow Leopard 10.6.8 -- Mac Pro 2x2.66. GHz Dual Core Intel Xeon, 4GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 30, 2012 at 3:23:10 pm

[Katja Heinemann] "So Flip4Mac functions as a plug-in of sorts to MPEG Streamclip and does the windows conversion?"

Flip4Mac is a Quicktime component and officially promoted as a way to encode WMV on Mac. In works in a variety of Quicktime compression programs including Quicktime Pro, Compressor and MPEGStreamclip amongst others.

[Katja Heinemann] "I've had the same issue with other conversions that were QT based,"

I don't know the specifics but Quicktime is a container and not all codecs may be natively distributed by Apple. I don't know of others that would have a 30 second limit though offhand.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on May 1, 2012 at 2:14:05 am

Katja,

I have to chime in to agree with Craig - the only time I've seen a 30 second cutoff is when using something like Flip4Mac which has a paid version for compression.

I've never seen MPEG Streamclip do something like this in any other case.

Good luck.

Best,

Jeff I. Greenberg
Editor/Author/Speaker/Consulting
My NAB seminar schedule, contact info and more

Return to posts index

Anna Claudia Racco
on May 25, 2012 at 12:55:00 pm

same issue with mpegstreamclip, no way, I used it before without problem now it doesn't work! clip truncates at 30 sec...

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on May 25, 2012 at 3:46:45 pm

Anna,

What are you trying to convert it to?

best,

Jeff

Return to posts index

Anna Claudia Racco
on May 25, 2012 at 6:18:52 pm

Hi! from mov to wmv, tomorrow a friend of mine will sort it out...I hope so! I'll let you know how!

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on May 25, 2012 at 6:32:07 pm

There's nothing to really sort out.

You're trying to do a conversion with MPEG Streamclip to WMV; It uses QuickTime for this.

Apple doesn't make a WMV component. If you see it there as a choice, you have to have Flip4Mac installed somehow on your machine. If you've paid for Flip4Mac, you have full WMV encoding. If you're using the trial version (often installed to view WMV through quicktime) it has a limitation of 30 second encodes.

If you go to Flip4mac.com you can upgrade to the full version.

Best,

Jeff I. Greenberg
Editor/Author/Speaker/Consulting
My NAB seminar schedule, contact info and more

Return to posts index

Anna Claudia Racco
on May 26, 2012 at 3:06:31 pm

you are perfectly right! my friend brought me the flip4mac on is usb pen and installed flip4mac with the upgrade, now it works for more than 30 sec. Was nice to meet you on the web! best ac

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]