FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting stand alone MTS files

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shawn Speller
Converting stand alone MTS files
on Apr 24, 2012 at 11:35:52 pm

Client gave me a bunch of stand alone .mts files (off the bat i began cringing) with no other hint of the original file structure. Ok so i did a bit of research and found handbrake, got .mp4 files from handbrake looked great until there was any action in the clip and it got a liney like the scan lines were showing it was all distorted and when in final cut the .mp4 file it bogged things right down and never played right. A few details about the project the .mts files average from 1-5 gigs big average time is 21mins per clip. they were shot at 1440x1080. The client wants a 1280x720 video playable for youtube so likely h.264. o i went to compressor with the .mp4 files i got from handbrake exported a copy of it as an AIC .mov, Apple Pro Res 222 .mov, H.264 .mov all at standard settings but the frame size is 1280x720. Problem is they all have distortion (scan lines show during movement) Then I tryed same settings H.264 encode but a smaller frame at 720x486 (16:9) it fixed the scan line isuue but now it's gone through unwrapping and compression. As you can tell by reading this I am sort of learning this as I go, ideally my question is there a program preferably free that will convert from .mts to apple pro res 422, my concerns as usual are time and quality

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: Converting stand alone MTS files
on May 1, 2012 at 2:21:06 am

Take a look at clip wrap

Going through handbrake is a mistake - 2 conversions where you should just do one.

Best,

Jeff I. Greenberg
Editor/Author/Speaker/Consulting
My NAB seminar schedule, contact info and more

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]