FORUMS: list search recent posts

.GXF for Fox Networks

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Weiner
.GXF for Fox Networks
on Apr 19, 2012 at 5:25:50 pm

For the first time we are going to be delivering a 30 second spot to fox networks. We got the specs, and it is one we have never heard of before. They want the file as an MPEG2 HD stream, within a GXF wrapper (something I had never heard of before) and a bunch of metadata I've never heard of. I've done some research, and it seems the only way to process this file that I can find is either Flip Factory (http://www.telestream.net/flipfactory/overview.htm), or Episode Encoder Pro 6 (http://www.telestream.net/episode/episode-pro.htm). However, since this is a one off file for us, it's not worth getting these $1k programs. Is there any way do do this? Will the meta data requirements make more sense if I had these programs in front of me. I'm going to get the trial for Episode Encoder Pro, so that may answer my question.

Any suggestions, or reading about GXF you can point me to? I've already read the wiki, but can't find much else. Most forum posts about it I've seen are in an avid environment, we are coming from FCP, and the file is Prores 422.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
Re: .GXF for Fox Networks
on Apr 25, 2012 at 1:44:39 pm

Hey Eric
Do you have a PC or Windows machine available? A possible workaround for a one off conversion would be to download and install the Grass Valley EDIUS trial (onto a PC, or a Mac with a Bootcamp or Parallels based Windows install). That should be able to take your ProRes file and spit out a GXF version using the included "GXF Exporter" module ... perhaps worth a try.
Cheers
Andy

Return to posts index

Eric Weiner
Re: .GXF for Fox Networks
on Apr 26, 2012 at 6:31:05 pm

Hey, thanks for the heads up. We ended up using Extreme Reach, which is a company that seems to specialize in delivering this kind of content. We uploaded a pre res file, and they did the rest. I had to convert to 59.94 fps, as their standards called for that for 720p, and 29.97 for 1080i material. Seemed strange to me, but I'm not going to question it. I would recommend, I think it cost around $125 for hd, and like $14.00 for SD files. (rush prices went up a lot.)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]