FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor changed video color DRASTICALLY.

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Brown
Compressor changed video color DRASTICALLY.
on Apr 4, 2012 at 1:27:43 pm

Hello All -

I've been attempting to find the best HD to SD DVD workflow. My latest attempt goes as follows:

Export self contained h.264 from FCP
H.264 into Streamclip export as ProRes
ProRes to compressor (90 Minute Best Settings) with de-interlace, two pass VBR, Best Resize.

Attached is a still of the output (after 9 hours)

Before

After

At any rate, I haven't found a workflow that can give the footage a fair shot. I've scoured the forums and still seem to get pixelated text and "odd" motion.

Thanks for any aid -

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Compressor changed video color DRASTICALLY.
on Apr 4, 2012 at 1:47:22 pm

[Mark Brown] "Export self contained h.264 from FCP
ProRes to compressor (90 Minute Best Settings) with de-interlace, two pass VBR, Best Resize."

Compress something often enough and it's a disaster in the making.
Export in your Sequence Codec from FCP otherwise export ProRes.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Apr 5, 2012 at 5:40:01 pm

[Mark Brown] "I've been attempting to find the best HD to SD DVD workflow. My latest attempt goes as follows:

Export self contained h.264 from FCP
ProRes to compressor (90 Minute Best Settings) with de-interlace, two pass VBR, Best Resize."

As Craig points out, too much transcoding = disasster.

Your workflow should be:
Send to Compressor (or export your timeline native codec, which should be ProRes.
Use Compressor to Make the DVD. Don't you deinterlace, let compressor do it for you and never use the filter; only the geometry pane. 90 Min best settings...2pass, VBR

Experiment with one minute and you'll have an idea of the amount of time necessary for your work.

Best,

Jeff I. Greenberg
Editor/Author/Speaker/Consulting
My NAB seminar schedule, contact info and more

Return to posts index

Sean Smith
on Apr 9, 2012 at 8:16:23 pm

As far as color goes, avoid h.264 whenever you can. You could always tweak brightness and saturation either on the clips or in compressor to get decent results though, since I still find that h.264 is my best bet for web videos. A few test batches with representative samples should get you some acceptable settings.

Or or you editing at h.264? I'm not sure if you'll get that color shift if that's the case, but editing in Prores probably makes more sense.

As for DVDs, I've spent plenty of time trying to figure out the answer to the "how to get the best quality SD DVD" question. Here are two things I found to be repeatedly true:

1) To get your video quality up with a given bitrate, crush your blacks. You could try it with whites too, but you'll get noticeable artifacts too soon; I don't think it's really worth it. In the filters > video tab in Compressor, check BlackWhite Restore. Depending on how dark the footage is, you can slide the value to whatever works for that footage. Do some test exports, paying attention to the darkest portions. What this will do is take all that noise within the black values, different values that are not even visibly different, and interpret it as a single black value, saving more data/second for details that you actually want. If you're going through Compressor anyway, this is probably the most useful compression technique I've found.

2) This may not be so useful, depending on what software you have, but for some reason after a lot of banging my head against the wall with Final Cut Studio, I tried authoring a DVD with Adobe Encore without even compressing the video first in Compressor, just exporting at sequence settings. Better results every time! Especially with the menu text, which was killing me in DVD Studio Pro.

You never actually mentioned what program you're authoring the DVDs with, though it looks like you're saying the m2v before authoring is ugly. Give Encore a shot without the Compressor DVD settings. I'm interested to see if it'll work for you as well as it did for me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]