FORUMS: list search recent posts

BluRay render quality washed out

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Nordin
BluRay render quality washed out
on Mar 11, 2012 at 9:11:02 am

I'm struggling with a BluRay render for two different project, trying to hit Monday's Cannes deadline.

I've rendered out masters from Davinci Resolve in DPX-10bit format. Conformed the masters in Premiere 5.5, and sending the final sequence to Encore. Everything is on a MacPro OSX 10.7.3

The results are elevated blacks, loss of contrast (gamma), and desaturated. Its what I have come used to seeing with the Quicktime gamma glitch.

I'm rendering in Mainconcept h.246 via Encore both with and without using AME...same result.

The strangest part, is on Thursday the renders were great. Now on Saturday, they are crap.

I'm quickly running out of time on the long form render, so any help or suggestions on where to start would be MOST welcome!

Thanks,
Paul

Emeryville, CA

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: BluRay render quality washed out
on Mar 14, 2012 at 1:16:55 pm

Some thoughts off the top of my head.

First, can you pump a set of 10 bit colorbars through the process (to see how they get degraded.)

What's your setup for Premiere Pro sequence type? There's no DPX preset - are you using your previews there by any chance? (I'm wondering if things are getting rendered 8 bit there.)
I suspect that you may have to turn on maximum preview quality and have a custom 10 bit preview codec (not sure if both...probably more the former) to pass 10 bits to Encore.

Have you tried testing a minute (or so) with MPEG-2 which is also a valid bluray format?
Have you tried just using Media encoder and bringing that material directly to Encore?

Best,

Jeff G

Certified Master Trainer | Adobe, Apple, Avid
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
My book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Lynda.com - Compressor Essentials 3.5 and 4
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]