FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dedicated Media Drive

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alistair Gallop
Dedicated Media Drive
on Mar 9, 2012 at 10:25:05 am

I have been using FCP X since its release and used final cut express before that. I have always used compressor and have used just my Imac to compress my videos.

I have heard a lot of talk regarding using a dedicated media drive for this and also for storing all my final cut projects on. I am not excellent with hardware etc so was hoping someone could clear up a couple of questions?

1.) What is a dedicated media drive? Can it simply be an external hard drive connected via usb? Or perhaps firewire is better?

2.) If this is the case, would it be possible to connect 2 imacs to the same external hard drive and both use the drive?

3.) When people talk about using a drive for storing all FCP projects and then a dedicated drive for outputing files, can this be the same external hard drive?

Any input much appreciated!

thanks

Ali

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Dedicated Media Drive
on Mar 9, 2012 at 2:16:42 pm

Do not use the boot drive. Accessing OS, Application and Media on the same drive can be problematic.
Do not use USB drives. There are sustained throughput issues.

A second internal drive is generally good at 7200rpm or faster.
Thunderbolt is good.
Firewire 800 or even 400 is OK depending on the media your'e accessing.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: Dedicated Media Drive
on Mar 10, 2012 at 2:07:17 pm

Ali, this would be better over the in the FCPX forum...but...

[Alistair Gallop] "1.) What is a dedicated media drive? Can it simply be an external hard drive connected via usb? Or perhaps firewire is better?

2.) If this is the case, would it be possible to connect 2 imacs to the same external hard drive and both use the drive?

3.) When people talk about using a drive for storing all FCP projects and then a dedicated drive for outputing files, can this be the same external hard drive?"

1) It's a drive that's not your boot drive. Fill up your main drive and the OS grinds to a halt. It's generally considered a very bad practice. USB depends on the computer for directions of how data should move, firewire does not.

2) This concept of shared storage can be done. It's not cheap. We're talking over $10k.

3) Sure.

Best,

Jeff G

Certified Master Trainer | Adobe, Apple, Avid
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
My book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Lynda.com - Compressor Essentials 3.5 and 4
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]