FORUMS: list search recent posts

h.264 video freezing at 40:30;xx

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Ruegsegger
h.264 video freezing at 40:30;xx
on Mar 7, 2012 at 2:30:07 pm

I've run into this problem with several productions, each using different files. Using Handbrake, I've ripped DVDs to MP4s (H.264 codec). Several of the DVDs yield multiple MP4s, so I drop them into PPro to export a single .mp4. However, the video freezes around the 40:30 mark (productions are all over 60 min in length), audio continues to play. Any clues on cause, or workarounds? Different codecs (MPEG-4, Sorensen 3 & others) produce a file that plays fine, but size is too large for my purposes. (I'm looking for files in the 2Gb or less range for web download.)

Mac OSX 10.5.8
Using standard H.264 preset in Adobe Media Encoder (NTSC DV High Quality)
PPro 4.2.1
AME 4.2.0.0006

Craig

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
Re: h.264 video freezing at 40:30;xx
on Mar 7, 2012 at 5:21:46 pm

A workaround would be to create an mp4, since you say it works, then compress to h264. Not sure if you're doing this now but thought I'd throw it out there.

Return to posts index

Craig Ruegsegger
on Mar 7, 2012 at 5:33:34 pm

Just tried that, Eric, taking one of my too-large exports (a 21gig .mov file) and running it through AME again with the h.264 preset NTSC DV High Quality. The resulting file (2.25 gig) again freezes around the 40:25 mark. So this appears to be a problem caused by this preset. I can export it again and start changing parameters randomly, but any guidance on which might be the most likely to get me past this 40:30 glitch? Or is there another codec/settings I should use?

Appreciate the help.

Craig

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
on Mar 7, 2012 at 7:02:41 pm

A workaround would be to create an mpeg 4 then compress to h264. Not sure if you're doing this now but thought I'd throw it out there. If they're not copy right protected DVDs you could try using MPEG Streamclip to export a file, see if you can get past the 40:30 mark that way.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Mar 10, 2012 at 2:10:50 pm

If you're going through Premiere Pro - why not just copy the MPEG2 VOBs to your hard drive and edit directly in Premiere Pro? Then it's one conversion.

As to why it freezes - it's freezing in Premiere Pro? As an mp4 h.264 file? Where?

Best,

Jeff G

Certified Master Trainer | Adobe, Apple, Avid
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
My book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Lynda.com - Compressor Essentials 3.5 and 4
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Craig Ruegsegger
on Mar 13, 2012 at 8:04:58 pm

Oh. my. goodness. How did I NOT know this was possible?! Lined up the VOBs on a timeline and exported. Worked like a champ. I'm a touch embarrased, but thanks Jeff!

And to answer your question, the exported .mp4 is the file that was freezing. Everything played fine in PPro.

Humbly,

Craig

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]