FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressing to MPEG 2

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen-Curtis Silva
Compressing to MPEG 2
on Feb 29, 2012 at 5:03:54 pm

The station that I am uploading our show to wants a mpeg 2 codec for the file.
I know primarily mpeg 2 is used for DVD usage and when using apple compressor you have to export out two separate files. I need one file with video and audio. I have tried the program stream preset and creating my own preset.

Thanks for the help!!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Compressing to MPEG 2
on Feb 29, 2012 at 5:54:31 pm

Is there a question?

Program Streams and Transport Stream may typically be requested by stations. They contain both video and audio.

I use Telestream Episode to create them as needed. Compressor may meet the specs depending on what the specs are.

Return to posts index

Stephen-Curtis Silva
on Feb 29, 2012 at 6:07:35 pm

When exporting with the Program Stream I'm not getting audio. I followed instructions from other forums and tutorials, am I doing something wrong inside compressor?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 29, 2012 at 6:26:17 pm

Does the file have an .mpeg extension or .m2v. The former is what you should have created.

In the Encoder button (2nd from left in Inspector) under Extras tab you should have Multiplexed . . . checked and Program stream button selected.

Return to posts index

Stephen-Curtis Silva
on Feb 29, 2012 at 7:00:28 pm

File has .mpeg and I made sure the program stream option was selected still zero audio.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 29, 2012 at 8:01:25 pm

Download MediaInfo
http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en/Download
and open the file and examine to see what it shows about the audio. Post the info.

Just in case use this is player VCL2 you can double check it in in addition to Quicktime. It'll let you know if the issue is just Quicktime playback.
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Mar 1, 2012 at 4:00:27 pm

After you replied that it didn't work - I went and actually tested and built one that did.

I'm just going to reiterate what Craig said here (and add a little of my own info.)

1) Check the file actually has audio - perhaps compress it to some other format (such as the youtube preset in Compressor.) Don't encode the whole piece, just one min or so (you can set in/out points in the viewer or in FCP)
2) Use the DVD (or other MPEG2 preset. Customize it as following
Encoder tab: Switch the stream usage to Generic
Encoder; extras tab: Multiplexed MPEG1/layer 2 audio on, program stream (MPEG) or Transport stream (TS)
Save this preset
3) Test this preset.
4) Report to us if it worked or not (also, tell us how you're monitoring it if it doesn't work - QTX? QT7? VLC?)

Best,

Jeff G

Certified Master Trainer | Adobe, Apple, Avid
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
My book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Lynda.com - Compressor Essentials 3.5 and 4
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Stephen-Curtis Silva
on Mar 1, 2012 at 4:40:53 pm

Thank you both for helping. I did all the steps over and monitored in VLC and got audio, I think I just need that blasted QT mpeg 2 component.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]