FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compression / Encoding

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Malko
Compression / Encoding
on Feb 29, 2012 at 1:32:28 am

Howdy,

I have a issue and I could use some help. I have a film that I was asked to create a High res file for film festivals through mp4 format, but the compressor I run (Compressor 3.0) doesn't do H.264 in mp4 so I opted to use the quick time H.264, I am wondering what bit rate I should use, if I should use frame control at all, and what settings would help make the film look nice. The film it's self is 15 minutes. Any insight would help.

Thank you

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: Compression / Encoding
on Mar 1, 2012 at 4:07:01 pm

Two thoughts

First, you could use the Apple TV preset - it's an MPG4 h.264 file and should look decent.

Technically, the h.264 codec can be in one of three major architectures - MOV/Flash/MPEG4. If it's in QuickTime (MOV) that's fine - but you should check with the festival to see if they'll accept it. They may be working with a hardware playback mechanism that only works with true mpg4 files.

Ok, settings.
QuickTime movie.
Encoder tab - Video Settings: Change format to h.264, current fps, Best Quality (multi-pass) and set the Data rate at 20,000 (far more than you need; you probably can get away with 8mbs)
Audio settings; AAC, 48k stereo, 160kbs

Frame controls: Leave the frame controls to automatic - it should properly detect and handle interlacing
Filter Controls: don't touch
Geometry Controls: Set the frame size to 100% of source

This should leave you with something that looks nearly identical to the original.

Best,

Jeff G

Certified Master Trainer | Adobe, Apple, Avid
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
My book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Lynda.com - Compressor Essentials 3.5 and 4
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]