FORUMS: list search recent posts

adding txt to compressed video

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zackery Bent
adding txt to compressed video
on Feb 28, 2012 at 9:04:29 pm

Hi all,

I have a workflow where I receive full res videos from directors and add a txt component to the end of those videos and then run compression for web.

I have scenario where the I received an already compressed H.264. Is there a way that I can add my text component to that without re-rendering and re-compressing what I was given? I use the FCP suite.

Thanks!
Zack

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: adding txt to compressed video
on Mar 1, 2012 at 4:10:32 pm

Unfortunately, I don't think you can.

But I'm not 1000% sure. I know that FCP7 with DV material (on a DV timeline - with no effects) would not recompress anything - it would be nearly the same file.

You could try dragging a clip and letting FCP conform the timeline to match the footage - warning - this will be a non-standard sequence. You may get RED/render audio - but as long as the video is gray (not green), FCP is handling it natively (which many people will advise against - h.264 isn't a stable codec for FCP7 to work in.)

Add your titles at the end as planned. (Punch the production company in the face for not giving you editable masters.) Export a QuickTime file - I think it'll have to be a QuickTime h.264 and not an MPEG4 file - but it MAY work.

Let us know!

Best,

Jeff G

Certified Master Trainer | Adobe, Apple, Avid
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
My book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Lynda.com - Compressor Essentials 3.5 and 4
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Zackery Bent
Re: adding txt to compressed video
on Mar 1, 2012 at 10:37:33 pm

Thanks Jeff!

Surprise, surprise- it actually worked perfectly. I just had to make sure all of the sequence settings matched the H.264 to a T. Makes sense that the timeline will only spit out what is there- if what is on the timeline matches the settings- then no re-compression. I also just threw in a bumper that was full res and it rendered to match the H.264 quickly. While this is merely simple text, it exported quite clean.

My client relies on me to negotiate with a lot of amateur directors- so no punch needed. But it wouldn't surprise how many 'sorry but you sent me a compressed video' emails I have had to send out over the last few years.

Thanks again!

Zack

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]