FORUMS: list search recent posts

H.265 Opinions?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Hall
H.265 Opinions?
on Feb 27, 2012 at 2:35:11 pm

So I just read this article http://www.neowin.net/news/the-h265-codec-brings-ultra-hdtv-resolution-in-2...

I'm wondering what the herd thinks of the news? I'm not terribly excited for home 4K because I don't see the point. At normal viewing distances you'd need a huge TV for it to matter. However I was wondering if this might mean better HD at lower data rates. If so how low can we go?

I imagine it will be a while before we see hardware decoders in devices so this will be a slow change. It's always good to see progress though.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: H.265 Opinions?
on Feb 27, 2012 at 9:33:48 pm

I think it'll mean more than that. It'll mean that we'll have to see how well it performs on existing systems; and my guess is that at 4k, it'll all come down to the video card.

Watch the TV industry push it and push it heavy! This will be the reason to buy a new TV, new display, etc.

Yet most productions (except the top 1%) are going to be 2k (HD) and below. Most places can't even display a 4k image.

The question will always be: what will make it attractive for john/jane doe to buy the consumer product?

Best,

Jeff G

Certified Master Trainer | Adobe, Apple, Avid
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
My book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Lynda.com - Compressor Essentials 3.5 and 4
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
on Feb 28, 2012 at 2:58:11 am

Just because it can, doesn't mean it will. Honestly, you run into issues where the extra resolution doesn't help on something as small as a 50" TV (small in comparison to a movie theater).

If anything, h.265 will probably be used to move more 1080p content, or cram more satellite channels into the same feed, etc.

Return to posts index

Bill Hall
on Feb 28, 2012 at 12:42:41 pm

That was my main point. 4K isn't that interesting of a feature. What I find interesting is that it boasts increased efficiency in encoding HD content. It makes me wonder how much we'll be able to lower the bit-rate of HD video and still have acceptable quality.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]