FORUMS: list search recent posts

compressor settings for upconvert sd to hd

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Lenart
compressor settings for upconvert sd to hd
on Feb 21, 2012 at 9:12:42 pm

I am editing a project that will have HD and SD footage in it. I will be editing in FCP 7 with my sequence settings at 720p / 59.94 / prores 422. The SD footage I have are digital files that have an Avid DV codec.

I've tried a bunch of different programs to up convert to HD like mpeg streamclip, compressor, FCP media manager and really don't like what I am getting. Mostly because of noise and interlacing issues. I know it will never look like HD or close to it but I was just hoping someone might have a setting they've used in compressor that has been tested and are pleased with the result.

I am open to any suggestions at this point to get the best looking end product. Whether that's trying different software, filters, or plug-ins.

INFO:
Computer: Mac
Op System: OS X 10.7.2
Software Version: Compressor 3.5 and 4
Source Codec: Avid DV
Output Codec: Prores 422 & mpeg2 for DVD
Use: Edit in FCP with HD footage(720p) and then put to DVD and digital file for viewing on lap top. No final decision on digital file settings but more then likely either h.264 or prores 422.

Thanks
Chris

Chris

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: compressor settings for upconvert sd to hd
on Mar 1, 2012 at 4:24:29 pm

The methods to do this in compressor are...fair at best. You'd run the Frame controls at the highest quality (extremely long recompression) and run the frame size with padding.

You might find Instant HD better looking than what compressor does and that you can run in inside of FCP is a nice bonus.

One note - you can't judge how it looks in FCP unless you're at 100% quality. Better yet, output a DVD and look at it there.

My only question - if it's going out as an SD DVD, you're upconverting everything to then downconvert it for playback. Why not downconvert all your HD material instead.

Best,

Jeff G

Certified Master Trainer | Adobe, Apple, Avid
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
My book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Lynda.com - Compressor Essentials 3.5 and 4
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]