FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best way to compress very long HD video for the web

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kim Bo
Best way to compress very long HD video for the web
on Feb 17, 2012 at 5:33:22 pm

I've got a very long HD video which is about 2 hours. After exporting from Final Cut Pro, the video is 90GB. I would like to upload a mp4 on youtube. If I compress in 1280X720, the file will still be very big to upload... What would be the best setting to get the smaller file... and I guess the best would be to upload in SD since the HD is very big.

I'm using quick time 7 pro, would it be better to use compressor?

Thank you for your help

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: Best way to compress very long HD video for the web
on Feb 27, 2012 at 10:05:53 pm

Kim,

You don't say what format. I'm going to guess ProRes? Are you going to host it? You mention uploading it to youtube, but youtube will limit you to 15 minutes only.

Compressor has a youtube preset. QT7 isn't as good as compressor as compressor has better frame rate/scaling algorithms.

Best,

Jeff G

Certified Master Trainer | Adobe, Apple, Avid
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
My book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Lynda.com - Compressor Essentials 3.5 and 4
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Kim Bo
on Feb 27, 2012 at 10:20:21 pm

Hello,
Thanks for your response...and yes, the video is in pro res LT. For my youtube account, I can upload more than 15 min videos...we've got that privilege...
Taking the youtube setting in compressor sounds like a good idea...but still, if my video is like 80GB, when the compress is over... the video might be very big. I guess I will need to play with the setting...the kbits/sec...cause if the video is more than 1GB to upload, it.s gonna be very long for people to load the video as well...
Should I play with the setting of the youtube compress in compressor?

Thank you very much for you help

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Feb 27, 2012 at 10:28:02 pm

[Kim Bo] ", if my video is like 80GB, when the compress is over... the video might be very big"

It'll be about 10-20 gigs.

[Kim Bo] "I guess I will need to play with the setting...the kbits/sec...cause if the video is more than 1GB to upload, it.s gonna be very long for people to load the video as well...
Should I play with the setting of the youtube compress in compressor?"

Nope. You should leave it alone and ask management for a faster pipe to the internet. The Video is going to be recompressed at the youtube side - and you want a decent quality/size tradeoff.

I know you think 10-20 gig is large...it's not.

Uncompressed HD? Your video would be about 700 or so gigs.
If it's compressed down to 10 gigs, you're talking around 70x compression (which is pretty damn good.)

Could you conceivably get it down to 1gb? Sure - your data rate would be about 1,500 kbs. That would be decent for SD footage, but not great for HD - don't take my word for it; push your video through at that level and see how it looks.

Of course, you could shrink the whole thing down to SD, and maybe get a decent looking file at 1.5mb/s - but again, youtube will compress it again.

Best,

Jeff G

------------
My book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

Kim Bo
on Feb 27, 2012 at 10:46:36 pm

Do we know how much youtube will re-compress the video? And Yes I was putting my video in SD and the kbits/sec was 1500...The quality of it was pretty good!!! I was just wondering if there was other possibilities...
but uploading a video of 10-20 gig on youtube it's gonna take hours and hours, if it's not days lol Cause just 1-2gig it's like 3-4 hours of upload...I cannot imagine 10-20gig

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Feb 27, 2012 at 11:14:51 pm

IF you look at the guide from Youtube that Craig posted, you'll see that the data rate of 1.5 mb/s for an SD file is adequate - that should provide you with what you want. Since you're hitting their suggested sweet spot, it should look fine....

But of course, you could test that 1 min piece and see the results.

They will recompress it, but the recompression isn't multiplicative (nor additive). Their suggested starting points produce decent content - but at that data rate HD is out.

Best,

Jeff G

------------

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Feb 28, 2012 at 9:15:42 am

If this is something you will be doing often, I suggest getting a Matrox CompressHD Card or a MAX enabled MXO2 device. I have both, and don't know what I'd do without them.

The Matrox presets for YouTube in Compressor do a great job creating H.264, and in slightly less than realtime. 1080 settings are 10Mb/s, and 720 settings are 5Mb/s. A 1hr 45min 1920x1080 video that I recently compressed with MAX and uploaded was 8GB. Not bad. As Jeff said, try to get a faster internet connection.

FWIW- If I'm not mistaken, anyone with a mobile phone can "upgrade" their YouTube Account to allow unlimited size/length uploads now. There's a link at the bottom of the Upload page "increase my limit". Click the link, enter mobile number, click submit and BAM, unlimited. I just logged in to a clients YouTube that I have NOT upgraded yet, to verify. I took screenshots of the link and enter mobile number pages if anyone needs to see.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Feb 28, 2012 at 2:01:44 pm

[David Eaks] "FWIW- If I'm not mistaken, anyone with a mobile phone can "upgrade" their YouTube Account to allow unlimited size/length uploads now. There's a link at the bottom of the Upload page "increase my limit". Click the link, enter mobile number, click submit and BAM, unlimited. I just logged in to a clients YouTube that I have NOT upgraded yet, to verify. I took screenshots of the link and enter mobile number pages if anyone needs to see."

Yup, it's called verification - but most people don't know about it.

Best,

Jeff G

------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]