FORUMS: list search recent posts

MPEG-2 1080i59.94 with muxed DTV PCM audio - suggestions?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jean-Christophe Boulay
MPEG-2 1080i59.94 with muxed DTV PCM audio - suggestions?
on Feb 17, 2012 at 5:20:38 pm

Hi guys,

I've been asked to change a perfectly fine workflow to now output final broadcast master as a variety of MPEG-2 files for broadcast distribution. Most cases are covered and working but I've got one situation I can't seem to get around.

I'm asked to deliver 1080i59.94 MPEG-2 files (no problem there) with muxed SMPTE 320M-compliant (8-channel DTV) PCM audio as a Program Stream. I've got no problem outputting the video to specs and no problem bouncing the audio to specs but I can't find a way to get the full package multiplexed as a Program Stream with my current tools. I can take the two outputs and hack them together in QTPro7, but the result is not a Program Stream, so that can't do. I was wondering if someone could shower some compression wisdom on me.

The current tools consist of mainly FCP7 and Compressor 3.5.3. I've got Quicktime Pro 7 and stuff like ffMPEGx, Perian and VLC as well. I also have a PC with a Skymicro Merlin05 board, but that doesn't do HD at all. Acquisition of new tools if necessary is absolutely an option.

Picture is mostly captured from HDCamSR tape through an AJA Kona3 board, sometimes received as ProRes or UC 10-bit files. Audio is bounced out of ProTools as discrete mono files and assembled in the correct output configuration (SMPTE 302M) in FCP7.

Any suggestions are very welcome at this point.

Thanks!

JC Boulay
Technical Director
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: MPEG-2 1080i59.94 with muxed DTV PCM audio - suggestions?
on Feb 27, 2012 at 10:14:28 pm

JC,

I'm going to guess you can't do it with what you have. You're going to need either Telestream Episode or Sorenson Squeeze.

I tried to build a preset in Episode - I couldn't get a program stream with PCM audio (admittedly, I spent all of 2 min on this.)
I assume Squeeze can do this too (although it had problems with my system and I'm on the road.)

Just download both and see if either will work.

Best,

Jeff G

Certified Master Trainer | Adobe, Apple, Avid
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
My book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Lynda.com - Compressor Essentials 3.5 and 4
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]