FORUMS: list search recent posts

tweeking data rates for h.264 compression

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dan freshman
tweeking data rates for h.264 compression
on Feb 14, 2012 at 11:13:10 pm

Hello,

Most workflows I have encountered lately are some type of dslr footage. After editing full 1080p video I am usually delivering for the web on vimeo or youtube. I was wondering if someone could give some guidlelines about h.264 data rates for final delivery from 1080p to usually something smaller. Vimeo recommends 2000 kbps for SD and 5000 kbps for HD. Are these guidlelines usually correct? Or does content (more static shots vs lots of scene changes) have a larger role to play when deciding data rate exports. I know these sites will recompress regardless of your settings, I guess i'm trying to avoid drastic recompression when uploading to these sites.

Thanks for any advice! This post is more to try and understand how to calculate optimal data rates before conversion and thinking in terms of size vs. quality.

thanks,
dan

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: tweeking data rates for h.264 compression
on Feb 27, 2012 at 10:01:39 pm

Since youtube and vimeo are both going to recompress AGAIN everything you do, you should really bump the h.264 file that you upload as a much larger file. I'd generally suggest 20mbs.

Best,

Jeff G

Certified Master Trainer | Adobe, Apple, Avid
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
My book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Lynda.com - Compressor Essentials 3.5 and 4
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: tweeking data rates for h.264 compression
on Feb 27, 2012 at 10:34:24 pm

See this which has link to post which i link to YouTube's advanced specs
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/20/868497
They mention 50mbps for 1080p, just in case you thought Jeff's numbers looked high.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]