FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best compression method for a 20 minute short

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert van Halteren
Best compression method for a 20 minute short
on Feb 1, 2012 at 6:06:15 pm

Hi There,

I'm currently finishing a 20 minute short I've made as part of a film school program. It's time to start making DVD's but in the past I haven't been satisfied with the quality (I've used compressor most of the times). In general the picture seems to be more pixelated than necessary and the colors seem off.

I was wondering what settings I could use best in order to get the best quality possible.
I have two masters: Proress4444, 1920x1080p, at 23.98 and a Proress422HQ with the same specs.

If there's a better way to this that does not entail compressor I'd gladly hear so as well.

Best,
Robert

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Best compression method for a 20 minute short
on Feb 2, 2012 at 4:28:53 am

I'm right behind you with a similar question

I have a 22.5 minute short shot on a Sony EX-3 at 1080/30p, edited native in FCP 7.0.3. Compressor shows "Best 90 minute" settings but there's a lot of unused space on a blank DVD. Can I reduce the compression within Compressor and get a better looking and sounding DVD?

Thanks,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Robert van Halteren
on Feb 2, 2012 at 11:40:21 pm

Just to add something to my previous question.

I actually need to make both a NTSC and a PAL mpeg2 for a DVD.

Does anyone recommend a certain workflow.

Just regarding NTSC I would normally just export to compressor (from FCP) and do DVD best quality 90 minutes. (sometimes I'd change the customize the bit rate and such). But still I felt that the quality left a lot to be desired.

I heard one person say that sometimes it works well to create another sequence in FCP (with the settings for a DVD) and then drop the original movie in that sequence, render, and then export. Does anybody have experience with this?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Best,
Robert

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 3, 2012 at 2:31:01 am

Robert,

While not consistent, I have had experiences with a few DVD players here in the US that played PAL just fine. When I asked about it at a high end consumer store, the guy said it's easier for mfgrs to put both NTSC and PAL in the same box.

You might want to try that and see how far it goes.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Robert van Halteren
on Feb 3, 2012 at 3:26:38 am

Hi Ty,

In general NTSC plays fine on PAL dvd players. I would say 99% of the times. The other way around I've had more issues.

Fact of the matter is that I'd rather not take any risks and create both deliverables. Which I can, my question is though, how to get the best quality for both these deliverables (without having to go to a professional company).

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 3, 2012 at 4:48:24 am

::ducking::

iDVD?

Regards,

Ty

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved