FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encoding .mp4 to Quicktime with Media Encoder, What's the Best Quality?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug Ferguson
Encoding .mp4 to Quicktime with Media Encoder, What's the Best Quality?
on Jan 31, 2012 at 11:58:41 pm

I record footage with a Sony EX3 which produces great .mp4 files. The company I need to send them to needs them to be in Quicktime format. I use Adobe's Media Encoder to convert the files. What is the best settings to not loose any quality and still stay at 1920 x 1080?

Best,

Doug

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Encoding .mp4 to Quicktime with Media Encoder, What's the Best Quality?
on Feb 1, 2012 at 12:47:32 am

[Doug Ferguson] "What is the best settings to not loose any quality and still stay at 1920 x 1080?"

Best? Uncompressed 10 bit 4:2:2 but maybe Apple ProRes 4:4:4:4. That would come closest to not losing any quality.

Think about what you asked for though. You may need to reword your question.

Return to posts index

Doug Ferguson
on Feb 1, 2012 at 1:45:07 am

Maybe I need to give some more information. I am on a Windows machine and my client uses a Mac. I use Adobe's Premiere Pro to edit so I have no problem editing straight out of the camera. On this project however, they need me to convert my files to Quicktime before I send it to them. I'm trying to figure out the best codec and compression to keep 1920 x 1080, keep the quality and also keep the file sizes around the same size. There are so many options I'm not sure which to try.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 1, 2012 at 2:24:34 am

Telestream Episode Engine can encode to ProRes on Windows but that will set you back around $4K.
Can you export to 8 or 10 bit Uncompressed 4:2:2 .mov?

Why do you need to send the a .mov?
They may be able to transcode or rewrap it on their end.
If you want "best" quality you'd want to send something as close to uncompressed as possible.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]