FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need a workflow for testing MPEG2 transport streams for broadcast quality

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cathy Mayville
Need a workflow for testing MPEG2 transport streams for broadcast quality
on Jan 30, 2012 at 7:33:40 pm

Hello Compression Guru's,

I am editing (40 minute) shows in Final Cut 7, exporting quicktimes as self contained movies, then taking these quicktimes into Episode 5.3.2 and compressing to MPEG2 TS with the VOD/MPEG2/NTSC_3750 kbps preset. I then watch the files in VLC player on my desktop and deliver to Comcast for VOD.

Recently I got some feedback that, even though these files passed for Comcast VOD, and they looked okay in the VLC playback on the desktop, they were airing on VOD very jittery (it looked like a field issues, but also black frames appeared and playback was generally not smooth).

I have never been able to view these files on a broadcast monitor before delivering (to see how fields look on Broadcast monitor). Does anyone have a suggestion for a great compression setting that will eliminate jittery video and also any suggestions on doing a broadcast monitor quality check before I deliver to Comcast? Thanks!

Thanks! Cat Mayville
Mac 2 x 2.93 Ghz Quad Core Intel
OS 10.6.4
16 GB RAM
Kona LHi V 9.0.6
Final Cut Pro 7
Episode 5.3.2

Return to posts index

Craig RussillRoy
Re: Need a workflow for testing MPEG2 transport streams for broadcast quality
on Feb 2, 2012 at 6:51:32 pm

Hi cat

Hope this finds you well - ok so a few questions - what are you cutting - is it HD or SD and whay res 1080 - 720 is all the footage the same format or are you uprezing - cross converting ?

Under 4MB seems very low - in your settings is there lower field or progressive ... I would export to a DVD and playback on a tv as you would need a stradis card or other mpeg 2 decoder card to a SDI signal to see issues

I normally flip fields to progressive in episode or rhozet and check back on 10.7 lion as there is a mpeg 2 codec in there that allos 422 and 420 in QTX

Is it 420 or 422 for comcast ?

So for the geek out - I deal with 100s of TVCs a day ;+)

Adstream London, England

4 x Mac Pros, FCP7, 4 x Flip Factories, 35 x Rhozet Carbon Coders, Offices Globally

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]