FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need to Compress a .mpg (mpeg2) file for an Alcorn McBride Player

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lucky Haskins
Need to Compress a .mpg (mpeg2) file for an Alcorn McBride Player
on Jan 28, 2012 at 1:08:38 am

I have to compress 5 short (1-2 minute films) that play in an exhibit using an Alcorn McBride player...which is apparently the only player the Federal Govt uses (at least that'w what they are telling me). I have to compress this in Apple Compressor (or I have an old version of Sorensen Squeeze).

I have the formula from the players manual...below...but the operative question is does anybody know how to cook an .mpg (very specific that it must be .mpg) in Compressor to the specs below?

The DVM plays MPG files that contain digital video encoded in high-resolution by an algorithm known as MPEG-2. Many encoding systems produce MPEG-2 files, but not all MPEG-2 files may be played on the DVM. Many MPEG-2 files are designed for playback in a small window on a PC, or for transfer over the internet. These files are generally of very low resolution at slow frame rates.

The DVM is designed to accept MPEG-2 files encoded at a resolution of 720 x 480 (NTSC) or 720 x 576 (PAL). The DVM can play MPEG-2 files encoded at bit rates up to 15.0 Megabits per second. Since higher bit rates equate to better picture quality, we encourage you to encode your video at the highest bit rate supported.

Unlike MPEG-1, which uses a constant bitrate, MPEG-2 supports variable bitrate program streams. This means that the encoding process scales the bitrate up and down depending on quality needs. A scene with a tremendous amount of movement requires more bits than a much more still scene.

Program Stream:
Multiplexed Bit Rate: 15.0 Mbits/s max
The stream should be authored according to ISO 13818-1 Format
MPEG-2 Video:
Picture Format:
SIF-NTSC: 240 lines by 352 pixels
SIF-PAL: 288 lines by 352 pixels
HalfD1-NTSC: 480 lines by 352 pixels
HalfD1-PAL: 576 lines by 352 pixels
CCIR-NTSC: 480 lines by 704(or 720) pixels
CCIR-PAL: 576 lines by 704(or 720) pixels
Chroma Format