FORUMS: list search recent posts

H.264 for WD TV via Compressor

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Edelman
H.264 for WD TV via Compressor
on Jan 25, 2012 at 3:50:47 pm

Hello Friends. I'm trying to put together a .mov H.264 file for a client. Unfortunately I don't have the unit to test with so I have to get it right. He will be playing it off a Wester Digital TV Live, into a large plasma screen. Anyone have any experience with this unit and could give me a hand designing a profile in Apple Compressor? Primarily video bitrate.

Computer - Mac Pro 2x 3Ghz Intel Quad Core, 6GB Ram
Operating system including exact version number- Max OS X 10.5.8
Software used including version number - Compressor from FCS v7
Source codec (file you put in) - 1080i 59.94 Apple ProRes HQ Quicktime
Destination codec (file you want out) - H.264 Encoded MOV
Type of destination use - looping video played out of a "WD TV Live" into a large plasma

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
Re: H.264 for WD TV via Compressor
on Jan 28, 2012 at 1:29:53 am

Ironically, a post popped up in FCP forum with the same sort of question:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/8/1152317

I'll post my reply here as well, I think it's relavent:

I use a legacy version of the WDTV, the one before all of the network connectivity stuff they introduced.

Almost 2 years ago, I wanted to discover the limitation of the box, so I did multiple tests and I was able to run h264 in .mov container at 45Mbps without any issues on playback (from USB drive). I didn't go any higher...because that is more than enough and reaches the limitation of Blu-ray in terms of bit-rate.

The only tweaky things I did discover was in using my Matrox MAX accellerated compression...if I compressed with the generic mp4 compression setting in Compressor, it worked fine. If I used the Matrox codec to encode to, I had audio cutting out with bit-rates above 3-4Mbps (using AAC audio) other audio codecs worked fine. I tracked this down to the fact that "hinted streaming" needed to be enabled. I think this was only a limitation when using the Matrox hardware to speed up compression from what I remember. The Matrox folks were awesome in helping me track that problem down.

My company uses these for tradeshow video playback...so I have developed a clean workflow for encoding for them.

-Jason

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]